photo or rear sway bar mounts?

PostPost by: mini64 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:09 pm

Anyone have a photo of how the Bean or similar rear sway bar mounts to the chassis? I remember seeing one but now that I am wanting to reporduce it I cant find it. If not a photo of this, a photo of the space up behind the differential and all when the body is on.
mini64
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:15 am

This is the mounting on a 26r style chassis.
Attachments
TTR10 001resize.jpg and
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:20 am

I have attached a PDF file with sketch drawings of the Elan Rear sway bar installation details. Personaly never seen a strong need to fit one so i dont know how well this drawing works or how well a rear sway bar works.

The guy who did this drawing for me was a very quick Elan driver about 20 years ago and knew what he was doing. One day I may give it a try when Ii have time to make and properly test it.

regards
Rohan
Attachments
Elan Rear Roll Bar.pdf
(483.12 KiB) Downloaded 718 times
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:08 am

here is the mod used on my old car - look to flat surface on frame near brake pipe bracket.
don't forget the control arm will need a fixture as well.

G
Attachments
LHR-ARB-mount.jpg and
LHR-adjarm.jpg and
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mini64 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:40 pm

thanks guys. I have the general idea right, just worry about clearance to the body. I need to go back out to my body and do some measuring.

Yes,I've read that most of you racers dont have a rear bar. I just thought since i have everything apart I'll put in a provision for one. On my formula ford I find I adjust the rear roll bar more then anything else when I go from track to track or dry to wet. It is the easiest way to tune the over/understeer balance.
mini64
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:23 pm

Just found these

[attachment=0]droplink 26r.jpg[/attachment][attachment=0]droplink 26r.jpg[/attachment]

John :wink:
Attachments
droplink 26r.jpg and
droplink26r.jpg and
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:44 pm

Hi Pic of the rear anti roll bar on my 26R

I have had some made recently and one was fitted to the Tour Auto winning Elan for 2010

Cheers Dave
Attachments
26r 002s.jpg and
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
Shapecraft Honda powered S1(in progress)
Turbocharged 26R clone (also in progress)
Evora 400 development car ex Lotus Factory
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:52 pm

I have a copy of the old DSN Lotos mounting instruction page which I got many years ago when I bought my rear bar kit. I followed their dimensions but then when it came time to fit the bar, it wouldn't clear the body. The important thing is that the bar has to lie just below the edge of the rear frame crossmember. Now, 25 years later, while I'm re-restoring the "Deerslayer", I'll make some extensions so I can mount the bar right this time. I can provide a scan of the document with the caveat to which dimension is wrong or measured to the wrong point on the drawing.

But then, this drawing was made to fit the original Lotus Components kits that were supplied by Lotus Central that was then bought out when they closed by DSN Lotos. And then DSN sold out too back in the late 70s.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:12 pm

heres a picture of my 26r rear sway bar before cleaning it up ---ed
Attachments
Picturescloyus_suspension_ready_to_remove_012.jpg and
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: frearther » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:17 pm

Jack,
I just figured it out anew after seeing the great photo from elancoupe. The two clamps that are shaped to clamp onto something round are attached to the outrigger braces that extend from the bases of the rear uprights to the frame extension that the differential sits above. Watch out for body clearances. The arms of the bar face forward. The drop links with the Heim joints are attached to the forward arms of the wishbones. I used the little hose clamps for lateral locators.

Let me know if this clears up the confusion. Sorry I couldn't remember it before, but it was a long time ago (of course, us oldsters are supposed to remember old stuff and forget what we had for breakfast :roll: ).

Art
Art Frederick
S2 Roadster, built in 1965, registered in 1966, No. 26/4934
Nothing else of interest at present
frearther
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:05 am

some more pics that may help
Attachments
Rear Sway BarRose Jointed Drop Link.doc
(213 KiB) Downloaded 418 times
rearantirollbar 013.jpg and
rearantirollbar 012.jpg and
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
Shapecraft Honda powered S1(in progress)
Turbocharged 26R clone (also in progress)
Evora 400 development car ex Lotus Factory
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: