S4 FHC Lexan side windows

PostPost by: miked » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:05 pm

Can anyone tell me about changing the glass door windows to lexan - polycarbonate to be used within the normal frames. I see you can buy them pre cut. Are they a direct replacement for the glass having the 2 gripper holes for the wire and pulley system etc. Or do you have to modify and make them fixed/static and have slide type opening efforts in the sides. Without knowing I can't see why I can't just cut some out using the glass as an exact template. Am I missing something?

Not looking at all the historic regs stuff, just some hill climbs and track days.

Also, if they can be direct replacement, has anybody done away with the motors to just allow lift/wind up by hand. At the moment I have no motors , 2 frames and only one glass, so anything is possible.

Mike
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:53 pm

45/8221 received Lexan side window and I deleted the motors in the doors so they side up and down. I needed a long wedge to keep them up in the winter. When I dot it it had only one glass side glass so I used it as a pattern and use a pattern cutting bit in the router table and made a couple out of 1/8 inch (3mm?) Lexan

elan-photos-f18/couple-pics-8221-back-when-owned-t23228.html

garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Panda » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:30 pm

Hi Mike,
I also cut out and fitted Lexan windows to my S4 3 years ago. I fitted new channel felts at the same time so the windows are tight in the channel. I do have to open the door to slide it up and down using both hands, but as it's a race car its not a problem. Along with plastic front and rear screens, saved a lot of weight!
Alan
Panda
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: miked » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:18 am

Thanks Guys, I am going to do it. Save some weight and wiring etc

Mike :)
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:09 pm

my car came with lexan side windows but they were yellow and cracked so I removed them and made a ply wood pattern before I had the plastic cut ---ed
Last edited by twincamman on Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:02 pm

Yep, I am worried about breaking the glass so the first thing is a template. My youngest reckons he will CAD it and get it cut for me from one his panel supplier by using the CAD info'. I was ready to do it myself. Might as well take up the offer. :)
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:41 pm

Just seen the ad at the bottom of the page :o
"Perspex & Acrylic Cut to size - order now!"

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: dougweall » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:07 pm

Mike,

These guys are near Bolton surely not too far away from you.

http://www.plastics4performance.co.uk

Been to see them myself a while back, will be using them sometime soon myself.

Doug.
dougweall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:57 pm

Mike,
I enquired on here a couple of years ago about dumping the old Ford wiper motors and fitting manual window winders; at that time no-one appeared to have come up with a viable solution. I think it would be difficult, due to the "cut out" in the door card and if you put in a flat door card there would be nowhere for your elbow to go!
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:52 pm

Matt, Doug and Pete,

Thanks for your replies. I have been in contact with Plastics4performance and was going to buy them when my eldest said to let him see if he could sort it with his contacts.
I believe he has put the shape on CAD and we need to bolt down the exact material which is best. I have been travelling so not got back to it just yet.
Believe Lexan EXCELL *D is the one.
Will investigate with him to see what is advised by the manufacturers of these types of products for motor sport.
Re up and down, not that far ahead yet. Probably by hand on the window seeing it is for track etc.

Mike
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:08 pm

Hi,

I have also been looking in to this. Their are a few different specs of polycarbonate and the ones which seam ideal are expensive. This link gives some of the specs.

http://www.gcip.co.uk/EP/lexan_polycarbonate_sheet.htm

LEXAN? Margard MR5E looks good because of the hard coating.

This company will also cut to shape etc but haven't used them yet.

Regards
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:04 am

Hi Steve,

I was on that site yesterday following the spec' sheets. Talked to my old boy last night and he is having a trial one made. The guy who is doing it does his electrical shields for switchgear etc. When he showed him the Excell *D spec' he came up with another. He is going to let me know what it is. It is less costly than the above. Apparently, it is used by the police on the vehicle shields stuff etc and has an equal spec'. Looking at the spec', it is likely the Margard MR5E.

Will report back. Let me know if you are interested. I was thinking of 5mm thick as I measured my glass at 4.8mm. Will perhaps nip better in the felt channel seal.

Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:19 pm

Hi Mike,

I am interested in Elan S4 side windows.
I was hoping to keep my windows working which is why I was looking at the hard finish.
Not sure about width - haven't got to that stage yet but by tomorrow will be.

I have been down to Gilbert Curry (its not far) and they said I should take a pattern in hope of getting an off cut but at the price per sheet I can't believe anybody leaves anything behind.

Cheers
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:06 am

I finally got my hands on the Polycarbonate Lexan Excell D side windows in 5mm thickness. For Elan S4 and I believe the S3 to be the same. A sheet had to be purchased so I have a few more and would like to recover some of the cost. Anybody interested please PM me. They are a copy of the normal glass ones.
I will be fitting mine over the next few evenings.

PS due to a purchase error I also have some 3 mm thick ones.

Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pickj2002 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:56 pm

Hi Guys,

sorry to hi jack the post, but im short of everything in the window mechanism/ glass/ motor/ window frame department in my S4 DHC, If any of you race guys were changing to a different set up from original, please pm me as I would be keen to purchase.

Many thanks
Jon
pickj2002
New-tral

Next

Total Online: