Lotus Elan

Permanent Tech Section and Searches

PostPost by: knockoffnut » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:37 pm

Hi Jeff,
There has been a lot of discussion requesting a permanent tech section, which specifically would include a section where we could post and build a knowledge base on Elan S1 variations, Changes to S2, etc. There are constant questions about what is correct (equipment, part numbers, paint colours etc.) on a certain series or year of Elan. Searching previous posts is EXTREMELY difficult. I have searched many, many times for paint colour reference charts, and information about Medici Blue for example. Every time I search for anything I get pages and pages of unrelated stuff. Search tools have evolved to be so fuzzy/scuzzy that they no longer bring forth the information requested. For this reason the same questions come up over and over again as people cannot find answers by searching. It would be very desirable to have a permanent, fixed tree based structure where users could navigate through S1/S2/S3/S4/Sprint sections, with sub sections for body, engine/running gear, interior, electrical, paint, and have the ability for users to post info and look up technical info through the tree structure. Please take a look at the SL113.org website technical section as a reference. Could this be possible to implement?
1964 S1
1965 S2
1967 S3 SE DHC
Frankentwincam
Seven S2 A
Seven S2 F
knockoffnut
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jcocking » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:54 pm

We already have this section on the website. The Wiki has a service manual section where members have written articles and are published. Any member can write an article for inclusion. http://www.lotuselan.net/wiki/Category:Workshop_Manual

Our original plan for the wiki was for any member with more than 50 posts would have the ability to edit/add the content. We ran into technical issues with this. We have been looking for alternatives, but this would require changing out all the software on the website. I keep looking, but I have not found the right software to work with.

We can open the Wiki up to a few authors, to write articles. If you are interested let me know.

I am always open to suggestions and feedback.

jeff
Jeff Cocking
LotusElan.net
1970 S4 SE
"Someday I will spend more time on the Elan and less time on the website."
jcocking
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:39 am

Hi Jeff

I would be happy to put some of the articles I have written here and elsewhere over the years into the Wiki. Also happy to edit or add to others content

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: knockoffnut » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:27 pm

Hi Jeff, I think that the WIKI is closer to what we are speaking about, than the maintenance manual section. When I clicked on the Wiki S1 section it came up, then I got a message saying I don't have enough posts (to read it, as I wasn't trying to edit it!) and then I was automatically logged out. (BTW I have 121 posts so I should be above the 50 limit) The WIKI doesn't have a section on electrics, or dashboard, or paint colours. It does have build numbers, and some of the other areas we have been discussing. For this to work there needs to be some mechanism for multiple people to submit info, and then post comments or corrections, as we figure out the details. The knowledge right now is out there disbursed amongst many members, and my goal is to get it collected and online in a place where people can successfully use it. Perhaps we can channel our data to Rohan, and he can filter and upload to the WIKI?
1964 S1
1965 S2
1967 S3 SE DHC
Frankentwincam
Seven S2 A
Seven S2 F
knockoffnut
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: knockoffnut » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:31 pm

To answer your question I would be open to editing the WIKI myself, and maybe I can get it rolling enough to get others involved, by my own knowledge base is clearly not as deep as some of the others on this site, so I tend to ask questions, and make assumptions, and then wait to see if those with knowledge correct me or agree with me. I would end up posting what I know and then adding assumptions and questions
1964 S1
1965 S2
1967 S3 SE DHC
Frankentwincam
Seven S2 A
Seven S2 F
knockoffnut
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: