Machine tools for maintaining your cars?

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:04 pm

bilcoh wrote:OH come now Alex, you really use one of these "constantly"? :P

Belt Linisher.JPG

Truth be told, I had to Google "belt linisher". Is that a Brit term? I think I might refer to that as a table sander, or stationary stander.

Is the "hacksaw" you reference something like a hoizontal bandsaw?

Horizontal bandsaw.JPG

We had one growing up, and I can see many times in my near future where I'll be wishing I had one, so perhaps I should cross that bridge sooner than later, right?

Dave

LOL... Interesting device that Dave! No its a 3" wide x 30" long belt and disc similar to the one in this link..

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... isc-sander

The little band hack is exactly the same. Great wee machine for the money it is....

Al...
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:38 pm

bilcoh wrote:OH come now Alex, you really use one of these "constantly"? :P

Belt Linisher.JPG

Truth be told, I had to Google "belt linisher". Is that a Brit term? I think I might refer to that as a table sander, or stationary stander.

Is the "hacksaw" you reference something like a hoizontal bandsaw?

Horizontal bandsaw.JPG

We had one growing up, and I can see many times in my near future where I'll be wishing I had one, so perhaps I should cross that bridge sooner than later, right?

Dave

He's Scottish y'know; we have to make allowances :lol:
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:43 pm

Aye laddie! I'm awa fur a dram noo .

:roll: Al' .........
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bilcoh » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:08 pm

Alex:

That was the sander I came up with when I searched for "Scottish belt linisher". Apparently you do things differently up there (actually "over there" from my vantage point). :lol:

Truthfully, I just looked for the most outlandish photo I could find. Guess I succeeded.

Dave
Dave
'66 Elan S2 - 26/4378
bilcoh
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:18 pm

I have the bench mounted version. Slightly different from the one I showed. They are just so useful for lots of work.

I do agree about machinery and I just don't know how one would manage to restore and look after these cars without the right kit...

I had my Sprint out today in this great weather. Brilliant! :D

Cheers guys... 8)

Alex....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:29 pm

Ages ago, 35 years? When I bought this house with a garage workshop, me and my friend installed his lathe in my garage. It used to belong to the Railway Engineering Dept at Imperial College and was replaced by a more modern one in about 1968 and my friend adopted the old one. It was stored dissembled for about 8 years in his parents cellar until, as I said, I bought this house.

I don't really use it enough and for about 8 years have been looking for a new loving owner for it, so if any of you fancy having a real big-un with full thread cutting facilities etc, a deal can be arranged. We are unwilling to let it go for near or less than the scrap steel value as we do not want to see it scrapped.

http://www.datahighways.net/support/top ... orum_id=29

http://www.datahighways.net/support/topic.asp?topic_id=164&forum_id=29

PS. why is this topic im Plus 2 instead of Things in Common ??
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:42 pm

Yes it's old but a good bit of kit Bill.
And it's not that big!
Someone on here should be chomping at the bit to get their hands on that.
A bit of a clean up & a re-work on that layshaft/pulley system will turn it into a great tool!
If I hadn't spent so much on the tooling specific to my smaller lathe I'd be knocking on your door today.

John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bilcoh » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:30 pm

Bill:

I'm to blame for putting this thread in the wrong place, and I fully agree that it belongs in "Things in Common". I'm still a bit new here, and it seemed like the only way to launch a new topic was from the link on an existing thread. FWIW, I usually just check the new posts, and start topics from there rather than going to the forum "front door" and doing it. I should probably reconsider that strategy.

Anyway, without realizing it, I'd hit the link to launch a new topic while reading a post in the +2 forum, and only later realized that meant the new topic lands in that forum also. I looked for a way to recategorize, but didn't find one.

Any suggestions on moving an existing thread to a more appropriate forum?

My apologies,

Dave
Dave
'66 Elan S2 - 26/4378
bilcoh
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:24 am

I think only the webmaster can move topics. Don't worry about it.

:)
Bill Williams

billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:29 am

GrUmPyBoDgEr wrote:Yes it's old but a good bit of kit Bill.
And it's not that big!
Someone on here should be chomping at the bit to get their hands on that.
A bit of a clean up & a re-work on that layshaft/pulley system will turn it into a great tool!
If I hadn't spent so much on the tooling specific to my smaller lathe I'd be knocking on your door today.

John

That pulley system works fine, though it needs an 8 foot high wall to mount it on.

Means you could run it off a water wheel or wind-mill if you want to be eco-friendly. :shock:

I learned to use a lathe on a similar versatile big lathe on a 8-week 'apprentice' course at AEI rugby in 1960 (?) during a summer break from University College. We learned milling, precision hand metal work and some foundry work as well in those 8 weeks.
Bill Williams

billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:04 am

So who's got an air compressor in their workshop? I'm wondering whether or not to invest in one. I have a short-term one-off requirement for one, so I can either borrow/hire this time or buy one that I can play with over and over again :)

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:30 am

The flat belt drive system brings back memories.. When I first started a few of our machines were steam driven. And I am not kidding either. I was with the company for a few year before we removed it.. It just went in the scrap bin... :shock:

I see the machine you have, which is a beut by the way, has an idler pulley? does it have the mechanism for switching the belt from 'Idle to drive pulley?

Try getting that past the HSE nowadays.... :lol: :lol: I some how don't think so!

I had a nice horizontal mill with a great universal add on head and sold it some time ago. Another big mistake! But I was running out of room for working on the bikes and Scoots. (Just bought a very rare Vespa Douglas :) )

OH well..

Alex...
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:54 am

paddy wrote:So who's got an air compressor in their workshop? I'm wondering whether or not to invest in one. I have a short-term one-off requirement for one, so I can either borrow/hire this time or buy one that I can play with over and over again :)

Paddy

It depends on what you expect from it.
Don't be fooled into buying one from Lidl, Aldi or B&Q and then expect it to run those power tools on sale along side it.
A few years ago I was sucked in by the generous size of the air tank on the budget compressor I had to buy.
Yes I needed to regularly pump up tyres that were on very leaky brand new split rim alloys & the Europa they were on was in a very narrow tilting garage so a compressor was the immediate, simple solution.
However the "nibbler" that I fancied & bought has no chance on it.
Mine now only gets used for topping up the pressure in car tyres.

Incredibly to my amazement they now charge for Air at filling stations in GB!!!!!

Apart from that, compressors do make a lot of noise!

John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:12 am

GrUmPyBoDgEr wrote:Incredibly to my amazement they now charge for Air at filling stations in GB!!!!!

I'm actually surprised that garages haven't always charged for compressed air. It's one of the most expensive forms of energy!! :shock:
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:30 am

This very noisy little bugger lives on a storage shelf in my garage. So far has proven to be very good. It gives 9cfm.. Not brilliant, but it i quite fast enough for what its used for. The air reel lives just below it and is super handy. I have just two plug ins in use with it. A blower gun and the inflator/gauge unit.

It holds air very well and it's easy to forget its on, but you quickly remember when is switches on during the night. Our bedroom is just above.. Makes a fair racket!! :roll:

I also have one in my workshop which has similar capability and the airgun is in use all the time. V handy.. Sometimes used for a small air driven 'file' and spray gun, but it does run out of air.

Al' .....
Attachments
IMG_3801.JPG and
IMG_3800.JPG and
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: