Timing lights?

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:01 pm

My Gunson timing light has just packed up. SH1t...& Gunson said bin it and buy this one sir! ......

Has anyone any recommends for a decent inexpensive, as I only use it once or twice a year, timing light? Ebay looks flooded with timing lamps starting at about 15 quid. Has anyone bought? What like? Recommend?

I don't want to spend loads on a tool that spends most of it's time in it's box on my tool shelf.

Thanks Guys.. I trust you are all well.

Alex B.....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:13 pm

I haven't come across an inexpensive one which is bright enough to easily see what is happening down in that gap between the front of the engine & the radiator. So I don't have a timing light at present.

I guess one needs one that has a Zenon flash tube, though nowadays I suppose it might be possible with the bright LEDs that are used in pocket digital cameras.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:54 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370336324199? ... 1497.l2649

This is xenon I am told... Hope so! I took a chance and bought one.

Something like this any good? I still have an ancient Neon unit which is fired by the plug. It is not very bright so one needs to turn down the lights a bit and get in (too) close to use it.. It does work.

Just whilst I am asking...... I set the timing to 12 deg' BTDC at about 800 - 1k rpm.. Whats the consensus on setting. Who sets to what and why?

Al' ....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MickG » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:19 pm

Hi Alex
FWIW I set mine at 10deg' BTDC static and at tick over(1971 Sprint). Having just changed my distributor to a 43D I contacted Miles Wilkins regarding the advance curve. He suggested the above due to the rubbish fuel we now have to put up with :(
Regards Mick G
MickG
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:51 pm

Thanks.. Just about what I was thinking. Not far out at 12 deg BTDC.. A slight kickback at starting and the best setting when turning the dist' gently by hand at tick over.

I am awaiting the new 'light' to see what setting that dizzy position has given. I am sure it will be around 12 deg' My engine seams to like the setting & starts instantly. Not been driven to check for pinking etc But nice smooth tick over.

The new timing light should be with me tomorrow. I will set it at 10 deg and test.

Al' .....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:51 am

Alex
Teaching my Grandmother to suck eggs etc.....the clamp on mine is directional...little arrow on it...gives really wonky readings if you clamp it in reverse...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyhodg » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:13 am

Hi

I set my timing at 12 deg btdc using a strobe at about 800 - 1000 rpm. I do tend to use V-power fuel however which I believe is 98 octane. No problems with pinking and quite happy.

Good luck

Andy
andyhodg
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:19 pm

john.p.clegg wrote:Alex
Teaching my Grandmother to suck eggs etc.....the clamp on mine is directional...little arrow on it...gives really wonky readings if you clamp it in reverse...

John :wink:

Still waiting on it arriving! :? The clamp on the Gunson Item was also directional John. I suspect they all are.

Thanks Guys... Good point about the V Power fuel. For the mileage done I don't suppose it's a big deal and I suspect the engine will enjoy that.. :wink:

Alex...
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MickG » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:48 pm

Just as an aside Alex, I also use the shell V Power plus Millers VSPe+; octane booster and ethanol combatant.
Mick G
Last edited by MickG on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MickG
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:04 pm

Me being a well known miserable bugger, I've just been putting unleaded in. :roll:

I might change my ways.. I will have a word with myself.. :lol:

Timing light never arrived.

Al' .... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:18 pm

I'm surprised that the Scottish Parliament has not passed laws banning the use of expensive fuel additives.

Ye'll have had yaer tea? :wink:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:45 pm

elansprint71 wrote:I'm surprised that the Scottish Parliament has not passed laws banning the use of expensive fuel additives.

Ye'll have had yaer tea? :wink:

:lol: :lol:

Aye Laddie... We were up at oor son's fur wur tea.. Steak pie and tatties..Braw. :lol: :lol:

Not doing politics on here... But.. I'm not for it..

Al'.... (loads of snow this evening)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:39 pm

The timing lamp came in a clear plastic sealed in package. Open and chuck the packaging. I tried some time ago to re use one of these type of packages and ended up cutting myself, so now they go straight in the bin for recycling.

The light's construction is fairly basic but quite strong looking so should take a knock or two. The battery leads are about 1.5 meters long and the crock' clips are soldered and clamped. Not bad. The cable and pickup are adequate and should do the job well if carefully handled. There is a caution regarding dropping the pick up due to fragility but that will be the same for them all I guess.

Easy to use no frills tool with good light output from the xenon lamp. It easily lit up the crank pulley and front engine area. It just did as expected and without the need to get in close. I had the timing checked and adjusted in about 5 Min's.

Basic and cheap but it did work well. For occasional use it should be fine an at under ?20.00 delivered I think is not bad value either. If it lasts as long as my old Gunson did I will be more than happy with it. I suspect I should no longer need it though. :?

The unit looks Chinise made and the instructions are hilarious, so you even get a laugh or two thrown as a bonus. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Happy days!

Take care now.

Alex.... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:10 pm

Thanks, Alex, for the review.

What say you all about the utility of a timing light with built-in tach function? It seems to me that one of those would provide convenience (wouldn't have to run 'round and peer at the dashboard tach), and you'd get accurate rev counting from the timing light's pickup, no?

Of course, they charge quite a bit more to add in that tach function . . .

Thoughts?

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:23 pm

Horses for courses. :wink:

I just set the tick over at about 800 rpm and set the timing to 12 deg BTDC.. Smooth as a very smooth thing.

The object of the exercise was to check out the device. At that price delivered? A bargain if it keeps working. The same company did a range of the timing lights with various features. Take your pick..

I was just being tight!! .... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alex..
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: