Plus two wheels on Baby

PostPost by: miked » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:55 pm

Guys, if I am fitting plus two alloy wheels and front brakes to my track day car project am I right in thinking that I will use the plus 2 hubs both front and rear?

At the moment I have not started this project so will I need to do some work on the arches of an S4 FHC to accomadate standard size plus two tyres on these wheels. Am quite happy to do so as I am at bare shell stage. Anything is possible.

Mike
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:02 pm

I believe that +2 wheels will fit directly onto Elan hubs with no problems (except possible fouling of body & rear suspension springs, of course). The +2 hubs just have more offset, presumably to move the wheels outboard and away from the suspension on the +2.

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:33 pm

Mike,
With standard wishbones etc you will need +2 hubs on the rear to fit +2 alloy wheels. They will just fit inside S4 arches with 13*175*60 tyres but might depend on your arches (if it's been repaired etc) and which tyres you choose. I have PM +2 wheels with Bridgestone RE720 tyres and they just fit OK.
You can fit +2 alloys with standard hubs to the front OK. With +2 discs and calipers on Elan hubs you will have to turn or grind the backs off the wheel studs and perhaps a bit off the hub flange to clear the caliper.
Cheers
John
elanman999
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: miked » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:00 pm

John & Matthew,

thanks for answers
I have adjustable dampers/platforms for all around with suitable springs etc. Have 26R TTR race "A" frames for the rear. Ones with the spherical ball ends etc. Also have the same for the front bones (26R).

So will this make a difference at the rear, re plus 2 hubs.

Mike
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:56 pm

Mike,
As I have not seen the rear rose joint wishbones I can't say. Which end are the rose joints? If they are at the inner end the outer will be standard so you will be OK (just).
There is a bit more room at the front so you should be OK.
PM me if you want some pics but I can't do them till next weekend.
Cheers
John
elanman999
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: