Steering Column Clamp

PostPost by: batfish » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:16 pm

I have fitted a pedal box with a balance bar adjuster to the Elan I am building for racing. However the clutch peddle now clashes with the steering column clamp when the steering wheel is turned. Has anyone used a different clamp with a smaller overall radius than the Triumph Herald one fitted as standard.

regards

Batfish
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:29 pm

welllll you may have to heat and bend the offending pedal to clear the column --or remove the cluster and re space the top shaft for the pedal placement --ed
Last edited by twincamman on Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:00 pm

Don't change gear and turn corners at the same time. :twisted:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ernest87544 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:46 am

Depends upon how much room you need. You could probably gain a little by going to a two piece shaft clamp like those seen here: http://www.bostongear.com/products/shaft/sclamp.html

Gerry
ernest87544
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:25 am

I had the same problem. I cut off a couple of inches from the bottom of the outer (fixed) column housing and drilled a couple of new holes in it so I could re-mount the lower bushing. Then I took the upper steering column and ground a new cutaway (that the impact clamp mounts on) so I could mount the clamp higher and further away from the pedals. I was also able to push the steering wheel forward until the "mushroom" end touched the dash board. Big difference. Way better!
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:39 pm

Thanks for all the ideas, I did what Frank suggested, worked a treat. Thought I had finished, went to put the new steering wheel nut on and found the thread is deformed and no amount of carefull filling would get the nut to fit. So either get a new outer column or I might put a quick release steering wheel boss on if they fit within the column casing.

Regards

Batfish
Attachments
steering clamp 003.jpg and
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:11 pm

oh dear ----thats what is on my car ---I should have seen that right away ---- write it off to old age ---I put a quick release on both my 7 and vee -----use the splined one ----the 6 point on the vee racks in about 6 uses ----the splined one on the 7 is still tight after 2 years --looking to get one the europa to aid egress--ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:52 pm

batfish wrote:found the thread is deformed and no amount of carefull filling would get the nut to fit

Same thing happened to me. I think it was from pounding on the column while attempting to push the lower bushing out. I took it to a machine shop where for a modest fee, they put it on their automated lathe and re-cut the threads. Good as new.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: