FYI on Rear A arms ( 3 approaches)

PostPost by: cabc26b » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:07 pm

This was a topic on another section of the site but I thought this follow up would be more appropriate here -

I am makeing some changes at the rear of my S2 , and will be using the an set that have a spherical bearing on the outer end - ( top left) and use a .5inch x20tpi shank with a .4375" bore , I like this config especialy the outers with the recess for the bolt head .

The ones on the right had massive rod ends on the inners with a set up that allowed a quick adjustment, the outer had a bushing in a reduced for clearance outer end.

The bottom left is off the S1 , stock, with TTR poly bushings in them.
Attachments
reara-arms.JPG and
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:02 pm

I bit the bullit and purchased a pair of TTR adjustable A frames. I nearly fell over when the bill totalled ?875 for the A frames + all the bits, I did not realise the rod ends where ?76 each. Anyway ?50 for nickel plating and fitted last weekend.
Now need to sell the TTR Non adjustable Race A frames to recoup some money.

Regards

Andy
Attachments
54a.jpg and
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:36 am

Hi Andy -

Your rod ends sound pricey - $40 will get you an aircraft grade Heim piece here- it's enough of a price difference to send somebody over with an empty suitcase - you can fly into ATL and go to Aircraft Spruce maybe one of the shops near the Lockheed plant, if it's good enough for an F22 raptor, it should survive what ever you can do to it with you elan. Or, if the beaches of Florida are more your style, go to the space coast where there is suppose to be a NASA surplus place that has some absolutely wild fasteners etc for a pennies on the dollar ( that's like a rounding error against the pound) .

George
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:01 pm

Hi George

I have noticed that some parts are alot cheaper in the USA, Twincamman bought a mag bell housing for $450, TTR mag bell housing is ?464 including taxes so I searched and found Lee Chapman has mag bellhousings listed at $445, half the UK price. It is probably cheaper to buy it in the USA and get it posted over to England which I will look into doing. I just wonder if the bellhousing was cast in the UK to start with.
Is your car up and running again?

Regards

Andy
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: