26r identities and other info

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:11 pm

I found another photograph of the Le Mans car in William Taylor's Lotus Series Three Book and I reproduce it here. I have noted that the earlier 26Rs magnesium wheels were 'solid', only later getting the open style we are more used to and which would have aided brake cooling.

I have also been doing some research in an attempt to get to the bottom of the Team Lotus 26R. The only evidence I can find - so far - is Ray Parsons entered by Team Lotus Ltd and finishing 2nd in the Redex Trophy on 30 Aug 65 at Brands Hatch, in his car HJH 171C, 26/R/50. The other races he entered do not have Team Lotus down as the entrant. Does anyone else have any other evidence of Team Lotus running an Elan?

Tim
Attachments
Le Mans Elan.jpg and
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:28 pm

trw99 wrote:I found another photograph of the Le Mans car Tim

Apart from the obvious, what do we know about the preparation for endurance racing?

Is it detailed anywhere?

Cheers - rd
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:42 am

I don't know much about the 26r and I try to stay away from topics I don't know anything about (there will be more and more as time rolls on). I did start this topic with Ed Law's assistance after a heated discussion on a Sunday afternoon January 18th 2009, Ed was watching the Philadelphia Eagle's loose there bid for the NFC conference play offs and I watching the Pittsburgh win the AFC conference (you really don't think I remembered who was playing do you? I had to look it up). I guess in the couple of years that this thread has run there have been some great photos but the amount of knowledge transfered from those that know to those that would like too has been a bit thin to say the least. I was hoping that we could all learn here but seems to be a lack of beef in this meal. I guess this article has been around for since 1989 and on the internet for at least the last 10 years and its still the best that is available to this day on what a 26r is.

http://www.gglotus.org/ggtech/26rdefine/26rx.htm

Anyway if you haven't had a look at it in a few years (or before period) have a re-read to refresh your memory as you won't get that much info posted hear any more. You know it's a secret and to let the cat out of the bag now would be bad. Then everyone would know what to look for and be knowledgeable about 300 26r in existence today.

Gary
Last edited by garyeanderson on Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:48 am

Well stated Gary our prime direction for the thread was to determine what the car was or is .With the new grand child plus the admonishment from the administrator [ that I erroneously thought came from Dave ---my apologies to you Dave] and being at the vets for excessive self licking [not me --cooper the cat ]--I have not been able to get involved lately --I did like the term 'hurl a wobbly 'and will use it --ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:05 pm

elansprint71 wrote:
Old English White wrote:... Pete ,

...You may change your opinion about the Lotus team not entering any Elan ...

Christian. :mrgreen:

Raelly!? I have a copy of Peter's book (two actually, one as an investment, still in packaging), Obviously I have not read it carefully. :oops:

:arrow: 1965: JimClark & Team Lotus The UK races, p179.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:30 pm

garyeanderson wrote:
Anyway if you haven't had a look at it in a few years (or before period) have a re-read to refresh your memory as you won't get that much info posted hear any more. You know it's a secret and to let the cat out of the bag now would be bad. Then everyone would know what to look for and be knowledgeable about 300 26r in existence today.

Gary

I don't care about that situation.
I only care about period races, results & pictures.
That I know, is that a real 26R in its orginal form is now dificult to entered on historics events.
Better built a 65' Elan in GTS10 category, for performance AND safety.
And if the only way to see Elan's back on road is to turn them in 26R replicas, let's do it ; even in its standard form, it 's far too quick for today's traffic and a permanent worry to avoid a fine !
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:08 pm

Old English White wrote:] don't care about that situation.
I only care about period races, results & pictures.
Christian. :mrgreen:[/b][/i][/color]

Please keep the period photos and info coming. :D
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:20 pm

elancoupe wrote:Please keep the period photos and info coming. :D

It's your turn...
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:45 pm

Hi Christian
One for you a pic of Peter Pulver at Nassau in 1966 in 26-R-9. I have original programme from Peter and have found some footage of the race with the Elan in it.
Photo from Ted Walker
Attachments
peter pulver nassau004s.jpg and
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
Shapecraft Honda powered S1(in progress)
Turbocharged 26R clone (also in progress)
Evora 400 development car ex Lotus Factory
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:18 pm

Yep,
The car change a lot since Sebring...
Still metal blue I suspect and carrying its lamp for numbers.
How quicker is an Elan without windscreen & top !?!
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:29 pm

These photos are not mine, they were posted on the forum By Rob Walker (prezoom) they don't seem to have gotten much exposure over in "free parking" so I though they may as well be over here too.
free-parking-f19/some-nice-elans-t19395.html
If Rob wants them gone I will delete them. After two years this may be one of the few topics that hasn't gone off topic and swirled down the drain. Over 10000 views and I don't think it?s done yet. We have some 26r owners on this forum that for what ever reason haven?t found this topic yet but I am hoping that they will join it the fray and post photos of their cars. I don't mean to scare folks away but sometimes I just say what?s on my mind and I guess some don't think I am polite and many times your right.

garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:52 pm

1965: JimClark & Team Lotus The UK races, p179.

Sorry I don't have the book, but in any case how are we defining "Team Lotus"

I ask because a car at a track with with team lotus on it is not conclusive evidence that the car was in fact a "Team" car - For example in on of the scans you sent there is a elan and a formula car in the same picture - the formula car is not a f1 car ( might be a f2 or F3) in any case during this period of time Jim Clark ran F2 in lotus 35's ( look a lot like a 33 until you get to the engine cover ) , these we run by Ron Harris , not Team lotus and were inscribed Ron Harris team lotus. Willament also ran F2/F3 cars and elans.... there are also other instances of privateers entering the a car on behalf of "team lotus" .

I have not seen any documentation to date that says the team was involved with the Elan. Given the amount the activity with with F1, F2, F3, Group7 ( 30/40), Sports, Group 4 ( 47/62) , Indy , and the Cortina program ( Ford money ) i suspect there was neither the interest nor time to put any effort into the elan.

George
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:46 pm

Georges , Pete (& others),
I did not say that the Team Lotus entered an Elan, I only had a look to that book.
And, looking at that page, as me, if you trust William Taylor, you also can have a doubt.
On the program of that even, again, no signs of a private team for Parson's Elan...
Last thing; it seems incredible not to have color pictures of these Elan's...
Peter Darley wasn't alone with its black'n white rolls, was he!?!
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:00 pm

when this car was for sale at Legends Racing it was stated as being a works car and it was delivered to the Dev Dept according to the 26R build sheets.
Attachments
EPSON001.JPG and
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
Shapecraft Honda powered S1(in progress)
Turbocharged 26R clone (also in progress)
Evora 400 development car ex Lotus Factory
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:23 pm

cabc26b wrote:I have not seen any documentation to date that says the team was involved with the Elan. Given the amount the activity with with F1, F2, F3, Group7 ( 30/40), Sports, Group 4 ( 47/62) , Indy , and the Cortina program ( Ford money ) i suspect there was neither the interest nor time to put any effort into the elan.

George

George

I too had read that Team Lotus apparently never entered an Elan, leaving it to privateers to campaign them, the likes of Graham Warner at The Chequered Flag, described by Doug Nye in his book 'Lotus 1961 to 1971' as running quasi works Elans. However, I did come across this, below.

From my previous post: "The only evidence I can find - so far - is Ray Parsons entered by Team Lotus Ltd and finishing 2nd in the Redex Trophy on 30 Aug 65 at Brands Hatch, in his car HJH 171C, 26/R/50. The other races he entered do not have Team Lotus down as the entrant."

I have attached the programme cover and list of entries, confirming that Team Lotus Ltd entered Ray's car. We know that Ray Parsons was Peter Arundell's mechanic at Team Lotus. In the Crombac book on Chapman, he writes that Ray Parsons was responsible for the preparation and running of Team Lotus' 26R. Note the singular. However, the only evidence I have come up with is as attached. Parsons did campaign 'his' car in 1965; for example, he raced in the Sussex Trophy race at Goodwood on 19th April and finished 7th, though there is no mention of Team Lotus Ltd having entered him, so we have to assume he did so as a privateer.

This is an interesting little conundrum. Maybe some of the learned TFN forum members have additional proof. I shall have to explore that avenue.

Tim
Attachments
R Parsons Team Lotus 1.jpg and
R Parsons Team Lotus 2.jpg and
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: