26r identities and other info

PostPost by: Old English White » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:18 am

Hi,
Ok, it takes me some time, but I known it was worth it.
I went back from the Lotus Show with this:

Lying under a table, in a wooden vegetable tray ...
Not cheap, but it made the trip Sebring(USA) - New-York(USA) - Donington(UK) - Versailles(F) in nearly 46 years!
Enjoy, I am waiting for your comments...
Christian. :mrgreen:
Btw: Dave, You must ask for changing the team's name you gave on RacingSportsCars.com : It should spell "Dutchess Auto" as it is on the car...
Last edited by Old English White on Thu May 29, 2014 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:56 am

Hi Christian
Great find
Can you get me a copy please.

I have told the guy to alter several things including the name. Also the Daytona car was not mine although the same drivers. It was Lance Pruyns car which is now the new Goldbug owned by Shaun Walker.

Cheers
Dave
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
Shapecraft Honda powered S1(in progress)
Turbocharged 26R clone (also in progress)
Evora 400 development car ex Lotus Factory
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:34 pm

Hi All
Just had reply from Peter Pulver re above pic
He says that is he driving as Newt Davis who also drove at Sebring in 65 was thinner!
cheers
Dave
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:33 am

piss-ant wrote:Need more, this thread ain't dead!

I was looking for a picture that I have of 26/4020 chassis with the body first taken off. I didn't find it but a couple of others that were interesting. This photo is taken at "I think" Lime Rock in September 1995, well it was in that box anyway. It could have been Monterey of the same year but I am betting that it's from the East coast.

I don't know if its a 26r or a period clone, maybe Mike or someone else recognizes the Elan from the engine bay photo.

I got an email from Clark and he has claimed the the Elan in question so another mystery in my life solved.
Attachments
limerock1995 Elan bay.JPG and
today.JPG and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:50 am

Anyone know who bought this Gold Bug and where it is now?

http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car/9901/index.html?no_cache=1
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:08 pm

My word the shut lines on that car are tight!

'Clash pad' - love it!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:40 pm

trw99 wrote:My word the shut lines on that car are tight!

'Clash pad' - love it!

Tim

Japanese for Crash Pad, you sirry irriot, as Benny Hill would have said.

"Not using any repro parts" I suppose that is true, that seat is not a repro of anything I've ever seen!
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: hhh1950 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:30 pm

I have been the owner of 26-S2-29 for the last 4 years, a proper 26R that I am racing in the USA. The car has been there all its life and I bought it from Mark Leonard, who owned and raced it before.
A great car, well taken care of by Dave Vegher, running a legal FIA spec Twin Cam.

This year I beat all the Cobra's, all the Corvettes and all but one Shelby Mustang in the pre-Historics at Monterey, having been put in the 2,500 cc and over class.............
Just great to be able to show the Elan's potential against much faster cars.
In the Historics 2 victories in the under 2,500 cc class, like in 2010.

Before this 26R I raced a 26 converted to 26R specs in Europe. Between these two Elans the best victory record of all my cars in over 600 races..........including 3 Tour Auto wins. Just a fantastic car, and very reliable if taken well care of.
Attachments
Lotus-Elan-26R_4.jpg and
Lotus-Elan-26R_3.jpg and
Lotus-Elan-26R_2.jpg and
DSC_0068.JPG and
hhh1950
New-tral

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:43 pm

hhh1950 wrote:I have been the owner of 26-S2-29 for the last 4 years, a proper 26R that I am racing in the USA. The car has been there all its life and I bought it from Mark Leonard, who owned and raced it before.
A great car, well taken care of by Dave Vegher, running a legal FIA spec Twin Cam.

This year I beat all the Cobra's, all the Corvettes and all but one Shelby Mustang in the pre-Historics at Monterey, having been put in the 2,500 cc and over class.............
Just great to be able to show the Elan's potential against much faster cars.
In the Historics 2 victories in the under 2,500 cc class, like in 2010.

Before this 26R I raced a 26 converted to 26R specs in Europe. Between these two Elans the best victory record of all my cars in over 600 races..........including 3 Tour Auto wins. Just a fantastic car, and very reliable if taken well care of.

Nice photos and welcome to the forum!

Please post some more shots.

Amazing how, over the years, the Elan has been forced to compete with big-bangers; just think what the stats would look like if this had not been the case! :wink:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:18 pm

@ Pete

Your question is that a Trident (11th August) .... yes it is. It has been undergoing work for at least four years that I know of. Thats how long my S4 has been in the same garage.... Ouch, but I havn't been in a rush :)

Out of interest the guy that does the fibreglass work is just excellent, there is not much if anything he does not know about fibreglass and Elans. I hope to get my S4 back this Friday... Happy days..

Mark

73 Sprint
69 S4 (almost)
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: hhh1950 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:31 pm

Although the Elan should always be in a smaller-engine class, racing big bangers is more fun. In it's class the Elan is so much faster that the only cars you are racing are other Elans.
Using the Elan roadholding, braking and low weight to fight and beat Cobra's and Corvettes is so much more fun!
hhh1950
New-tral

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:35 pm

Hi John
I've sent you a PM
cheers
Dave
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:13 pm

mark030358 wrote:@ Pete

Your question is that a Trident (11th August) .... yes it is. It has been undergoing work for at least four years that I know of. Thats how long my S4 has been in the same garage.... Ouch, but I havn't been in a rush :)

Out of interest the guy that does the fibreglass work is just excellent, there is not much if anything he does not know about fibreglass and Elans. I hope to get my S4 back this Friday... Happy days..

Mark

73 Sprint
69 S4 (almost)

Update? Photos? :D
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:19 pm

hhh1950 wrote:Although the Elan should always be in a smaller-engine class, racing big bangers is more fun. In it's class the Elan is so much faster that the only cars you are racing are other Elans.
Using the Elan roadholding, braking and low weight to fight and beat Cobra's and Corvettes is so much more fun!

Welcome to the forum! Nobody enjoys a David vs Goliath contest more than me but, just for once, it would be nice to get all the top Elans in the UK onto the track at the same time without the big-banger mobile chicanes.
Maybe the 50th anniversary will be an opportunity for enlightened race-promoters to do this, however, I fear the the dreary MG-B millions will swamp that off the programme. :evil:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:10 am

you could most likly run a weekend event over there at a larger track where ALL elans would compete on one track with a 'run off' of the top 30 cars . Winner take all --good 50 th celebration ----It is done over here every 10 years with the Formula Vees , this year is the 50 th I beleive ----ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: