Frame Modifications II

PostPost by: jkolb » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:07 pm

Here are the rest.

All additional metal was 14 ga other than plate under front crossmember which was 12 ga.

I will post additional photos when I get the frame back from the powdercoaters.

Jerry
Attachments
P1010011.jpg and
Rear suspension tower reinforcement and rear antiroll bar mount.
P1010010.jpg and
Rear triangle gusseting
P1010008.jpg and
Boxed header plating
P1010007.jpg and
Additional engine mount reinforcement
P1010006.jpg and
Engine mount reinforcement.
64 26R clone
07 Exige S
jkolb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:26 pm

Hi Jerry

Those mods look very familiar -

If you are planning to run with loto-cones at the top of the struts you will need to trial fit ( slot gussets and grind flange) best done before the powder coating. I think you are ok with the sperical bearing type top mounts ,but now's the time to check.

I wish I had re-placed / welded the brake pipe tabs along the center box when I plated that area -

Could not tell from the photo's but if you are still going to run the fuel line in the spine, make sure you have the egress up front figured out , I had to rework that area and ended up using -6 aeroquip bulkhead fittings - had to enlarge the original holes.

What has your experience been with racing an elan with a rear anti-roll bar ?

Are you worried about debris entering the holes in the plating ?

George
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jkolb » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:56 am

I will probably go with solid rear mounts, but I ground my lotocones to fit anyway to make sure I could get them in. Needed to use socket head cap screws instead of the standard bolts, but the lotocones, though tight, will fit.

I put nutserts wherever I will be putting tabs for the brake lines. Main front to rear line will run in the spine. I wanted to get it a little further from the exhaust.

I have provided for the fuel line to run in the spine, but I may move it inside and use aeroquip stainless hose from the pump in the rear. The thought of a broken u-joint and a flailing prop shaft against a fuel line is not a pleasant one.

One of the reasons that I drilled all the holes was to allow the powder coater to coat all of the internal surfaces. Any debris I pick up can just be blown out with an air hose.

I have not used a rear bar, but wanted to make provisions for one before getting the frame coated. This way I can install a bar without removing the body or doing any more welding.

Thanx

Jerry
64 26R clone
07 Exige S
jkolb
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: