Bullet Box input shaft

PostPost by: MartinD » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:11 pm

Hi,
I have just purchased a genuine close ratio bullit box (helical gears), and just found out that the input shaft is for the early crank ie 17mm spigot, and I have a sprint with the later 6 bolt crank and 15mm spigot bearing. Has anyone any experience on the best route to take in making it fit.
My thinking is:
Swop input shaft with original semi-close box, can this be done ?
Machine the bullit box input shaft down to 15mm, a bit one way if I ever resell to the 26R boys.
Find / make a new "oilite" spigot bush to fit, 17mm ID and 21mm OD, (not a standard size).

Thanks for any sensible suggestions.

Regards
Martin
MartinD
New-tral

PostPost by: Tonyw » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:17 pm

Martin,

I am sure that one of the more knowledgeable members will respond but i think the two input shafts also use a different front cover (where the seal fits) I would not recommend machining it down as you would lose the hardening. It is not hard to make a new spigot bearing out of phosphor bronze.

Tonyw
Second childhood? no just an extension of my first.
Tonyw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: toomspj » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:50 pm

Easiest way is to have it machined down to the smaller size. That's what I've had done by BGH a couple of times. I've done two full race seasons with no measurable wear .
Paul
Turning money into noise!
toomspj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:15 am

I would call around and see if you can find the bushing, surely Dave Bean can't be the only source for these. Seems like a fairly stock part If you can't find it locally, put in an order and don't mess with the gearbox.

Gary
Attachments
Pilot Bushing.JPG and
Dave Bean Pilot Bushing.JPG and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MartinD » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:22 pm

Hi all
Thanks for the replies, just to finish the topic off I machined a siutable bush to get the assembly togather. This was always my favorite option as I didn't want to strip the box again as I had just rebuilt it with new gaskets and seals. I also spoke to TTR who said they had done the same thing in the past, but they had nothing on the shelf.
The close ratio gears are excellent and really keep the engine in the sweet spot, even with sprint cams (std engine), and a 4.1 diff. I know thats what they are supposed to do but I have just been up the road testing it an it feels great :D . Roll on march for the first event of the year.

Martin.
MartinD
New-tral

PostPost by: dunclentdr » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:51 pm

I need to get hold of a spigot bush (21/17mm) as mentioned in this post so I can fit an early close ratio box to an engine with 6 bolt crank - does anyone know how to get hold of one?

Thanks

David
David Rose
1963 S1 - Bourne bodied
1963 S1 - Bourne bodied
1965 S2
1966 S3
1969 Europa - 210bbhp by Banks
dunclentdr
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:03 pm

Hi,
I machined my own from oilite - not cheap! and you need to be accurate - I was actually fitting a later style gearbox to a steel crank. Anyway make a lot effort to get this right because to much clearance will wreck the gearbox

Regards
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:46 pm

I'm pretty sure I have a 17mm ID oilite spigot bush in my spares collection. I'll take a look tomorrow and let you know.
Malcolm
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:52 am

We turned down the input shaft on mine.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear