Tyres for sprinting / hill climbing (UK)

PostPost by: Maulden7 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:27 pm

Starting to sort my S2 Elan (standard body) for 2014, & my current tyres are getting a little worn, so I need some new ones. They must be road legal & included in the MSA List 1A/B - preferably 1B.

Up to now I have used Falken ZE-502, size 165/60x13 R speed rated, but these do not appear to be available any longer. I would use them again if they were. Wheels are 5in Minilites.

With the narrow body I am limited to 165 width at the rear, & there ain't a lot available under 175 as far as I can find.

I'm looking at Yokohama A032-R's but these only come in a 155 width for the 13in wheel, & with a 65 profile.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Dave M.
Maulden7
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:06 pm

Yoko BluEarth 165/70/13??? They are the new 'A-drive' tyre which I've used as a road tyre and have been very good. They don't look super grippy. Depends what you want. I think the ultimate road legal track tyre is likely to be the Avon CR6ZZ
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Maulden7 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:36 pm

Thanks for the thoughts.

I would love to fit the Avon's, but unfortunately they don't manufacture anything in 13in under 175 section, & these won't fit at the rear without mods to the body.

Dave M.
Maulden7
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: simonriley11 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:54 pm

Hi Dave
I know this post goes back a bit but I've just bought a standard S3 DHC and I'm planning on hill climbing it in the Classic Hillclimb championship. I have standard knock-ons and a standard bodyshell and plan to use the car on the road too so modifications will be relatively minor. Do you have any suggestions as to what tyres might best suit my requirements and any other mods which might be beneficial? Thanks.
simonriley11
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JohnDanbyRacing » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:01 pm

Yokohama AO48 in soft compound have always been a winner for me on the Elan. on the top of my initial mods list would be good racing seat as there is nothing worse than not being held in place properly. After that a set of TTR coilovers and a good suspension refresh/setup.
JohnDanbyRacing
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:48 pm

In Australia the A048R have been replaced by the A050R now but smallest size is 175/60x13 which I use on my S4. Don't know how this fits on a S2 with standard body but I suspect you would need to have fitted the smaller diameter rear springs and wheels with increased offset inwards to clear the guards?

The Dunlop DZ3G are a similar tyre with a compound that worked better from cold so good for hill climbs but they tended to go off after 4 or 5 laps and overheat in a longer race.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Maulden7 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:38 am

Simon - for a start I personally wouldn't use standard steel wheels for anything other than gentle road use, but then I've had one fail when sprinting (rear o/s) & it was a little scary ..... hence the 5in Minilites!! (fortunately with only minor damage ? I was thrown straight onto some grass by the side of the track - my wheels are bolt on ? perhaps knock on?s are less likely to fail?)

With narrow rear springs, & removing some metal with a grinder from the outside lower corner of the rear wishbones (TTR actually sells these with that job already done) you can fit rear wheels with an offset that will work with 175 tyres (but when you have tyres fitted any weights must be at the hub end of the offset - place them on the usual side, drive off, & the wishbone will probably have them off in no time - best to have the tyres fitted without being put back onto the car until you have the chance to put them back on yourself then you can rotate the wheel carefully to check that the weights do not foul the wishbone)

Tbh I didn?t get the offset calculation quite right with my wheels (& indeed I don?t know how the knock on?s fit) so the 165 tyre is very close to the non flared wheel arch lip, but there is a little room with the suspension movement, & with some more careful measurement, I now think that I can get a 175 tyre in without shaving the wheel arch (just plucking up the courage to order two tyres to try!!)

With regard to tyres, you need to decide just what category you are going to compete in. I have to run with MSA List 1A tyres, & Yoko A048 are only on the 1B List so I cannot use them. Likewise those Dunlops & Avons mentioned.

I'm currently considering Falken ZE912 & Yokos A539 tyres - both in 175 size.
Maulden7
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: simonriley11 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:36 pm

Thanks for the helpful feedback so far. The car will be used on the road as well as for hillclimbs and I plan to keep it fairly standard so I was going to use road tyres which on a 155/13 size seems to limit me to Michelin XAS FF (very expensive) and Vredestein Sprint (roughly 1/3 of the price). Does anyone have any experience of these tyres?
simonriley11
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jbeach » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:45 am

Hi Simon,
I just had a set of the "H" rated Vredestein 155x13s mounted on some Panasports. Putting them on my car and giving them a swift test drive this weekend. I'll try to post a report Sunday.
Best,
John
'69 S4 DHC - Just beginning a rolling restoration.
John Beach
'69 Elan S4 DHC - A Work in Progress
jbeach
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:31 am

simonriley11 wrote:Thanks for the helpful feedback so far. The car will be used on the road as well as for hillclimbs and I plan to keep it fairly standard so I was going to use road tyres which on a 155/13 size seems to limit me to Michelin XAS FF (very expensive) and Vredestein Sprint (roughly 1/3 of the price). Does anyone have any experience of these tyres?

I have the 165/13 Vredestein's on my Plus 2 and find them very good. Mainly long distance touring and somewhat spirited road use. I also do a few track days each year; track is 300 km's away so really more of a touring weekend. They seem to wear very well, and have even survived a few snow storms. :)

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:22 am

Unsure if you can get narrower but I have yoko a048 for a road car, 185 rear and 175 front with 26r guards. Highly recommended
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: simonriley11 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:57 pm

I decided to go for the Vredesteins and will have the car back tomorrow/Wednesday so will give you feedback as soon as I get a dry(ish) day. Again thanks for the help.
simonriley11
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: