Anti Roll Bars

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:05 am

rgh0 wrote:The XAS FF were a great tire especially on the road. This was many years ago and they were one of the first 'track day' tires with a soft compound in road legal construction you could get. The modern tyres such a the 175/60 x 13 Yoko A048R I use now are far superior but for a traditional profile tire on an Elan the XAS FF is great if you don't do a lot of miles as the cost is high and the wear rate high also :D

The Dave Bean Spring Rates and bars are versus standard as follows:

Standard - 0.688 inch bar and 75 lb/in Front , 68 lb/in Rear spring rates.
High performance road - 0.750 inch bar ( you can use standard plus 2 bushes) and 115 lb/in Front and 95 ln/in Rear ( I tried these but ended up with a 7/8th bar when the car was still regularly used on the road still)
Road race - 1 inch bar and 160 lb/in Front and 125lb/in Rear ( I use these rates but with a 7/8th bar for my Elan these days as it is basically a track only car, you can use them on the road but it does get a bit harsh!)

TTR's fast road spring rates will be similar to the DB high performance road and a 13/16th inch bar from TTR or 3/4 inch bar from DB is getting down to personal preference. I ended up with a 7/8th bar when the car was still set up for the road as well a sprints and hill climbs as in this situation I personally prefer a car a little softer on the springs but with a stiffer front roll bar given the state of our roads and tracks here in Australia.

cheers
Rohan

Thanks Rohan! I think I'll start with the TTR ARB and see where that takes me. British roads are in a fine state of repair...cough, cough.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:43 pm

Rohan,
I've followed your suspension/ARB advice on my S2 and S3 and i can honestly say it's transformed the cars :D
Many, many thanks!
Rob
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:43 am

Glad it has worked well

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:52 pm

Geee. I would be aware of bolting into 18 gauge mild steel ...ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:01 am

The anti roll bar mounts into the chassis seem to be one of the few places that don't crack --- Chapman obviously used to much metal there :lol:

With bigger anti roll bars the more likely failure point is the connection on the bottom of the damper from what I have seen, especially if you get up to around 1" diameter bar.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Greg Cozier » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:24 pm

Rohan, what dampers, springs and A/R bar would you suggest for a rally car on rough roads like Ireland?
Greg Cozier
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:20 pm

HI Greg

I would try the fast road setting I listed above as a reasonable starting point.

i.e. 115lb/in front 95 lb/in rears and a 7/8 inch front roll bar. Also make sure your rear aeon rubber springs are in good condition. As you are rallying I assume you will be setting the ride height fairly high for ground clearance so a 30mm spacer under the aeon rubber springs would probably help to make sure the come into action soon enough.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: