Dashboards; aluminium legal for App.K?

PostPost by: Greg Cozier » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:38 am

I've seen FIA race cars advertised for sale with aluminium dashboards but not sure what the alternate dash is on pg 12 of the homologation form. Can I use aluminium? If so, who makes them?
Greg Cozier
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: davidholroyd » Mon May 05, 2014 3:23 pm

i was told it had to be wood ..
davidholroyd
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Mon May 05, 2014 8:47 pm

Balsa is wood!

Lay it on top of you aluminium dash.

James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Greg Cozier » Sat May 10, 2014 9:17 am

Thinking about flocking it.
Greg Cozier
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Greg Cozier » Sat May 17, 2014 9:38 am

holywood3645 wrote:Balsa is wood!

Lay it on top of you aluminium dash.

James

That would fit the regs of the period 261-16.

3mm aluminium, thinnest wood veneer available, black crinkle-coat paint (flocking would be better but will make labelling difficult)..

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.ns ... _261_a.pdf
Greg Cozier
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu May 29, 2014 12:13 pm

Greg Cozier wrote:I've seen FIA race cars advertised for sale with aluminium dashboards but not sure what the alternate dash is on pg 12 of the homologation form. Can I use aluminium? If so, who makes them?

Page 12, 1/2/1965, says "As from chassis No. 26/3901 all cars fitted with New Dash Panel and Interior trim... "

This is when the Series 2 was introduced and therefore the "new" dash panel is the S2 full-width dash, as shown in photo #1.

imho FIA 127 is a bit of a dog's breakfast because "someone" :wink: was being very clever at the time by homolgating bits and pieces onto the standard road car, rather than treating the 26/r as a separate entity, most probably because they had not made 100 identical 26/r units at the time. I think that I'm correct in saying that the 26/r does not get a mention at all by the FIA, in period.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Greg Cozier » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:19 pm

Thanks all. Ian at Classical dash is going to make me a plywood dashboard with custom instrument layout which I'll prime and crinklecoat when the fitting and wiring is done.
Greg Cozier
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:53 pm

Gents
Just out of interest how much weight will be saved with an aluminium dash? I always thought the wooden dash was particularly light or is it the stiffness?

Regards
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:36 am

Lotus making 100 of anything identically ? Really ?????? :D :D :D ..ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:54 pm

twincamman wrote:Lotus making 100 of anything identically ? Really ?????? :D :D :D ..ed

Ed makes an excellent point; when Colin Crapman homologated the Elan for racing, he somehow managed to homologate the road car, produced in thousands (no two the same!), rather than the 26/R, of which Lotus made about a hundred, although nobody can be sure as, even then, there were duplicates and now there are possibly 250 and rising.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:19 am

being a race car these were modified by the owners for their own preferences before the car turned a wheel in anger.One of my many vees, :roll: of which 49 were built, and not one was unmodified by the owners before they were raced ? STREET CARS DIFFER FROM RACE CARS IN A BIG WAY .as racers differ from ordinary people in the same way :shock: 1st the driver cares nothing about the provenance of the car --its value..its history ..engineering or design or many time as in the case of Lotus the safety ;;;the true racer only cares that it goes fast and will change and ignore anything to achieve this goal .So to compare a pure race car to a factory production car is futile ?in my time driving if some one won a race with a tool box bolted to the front of the car next event 20 cars would have a box attached to the front of their car and not one would resemble another in size attachment placement or shape . ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JohnDanbyRacing » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:59 pm

We have just updated our FIA papers for our race Elan's and I know they are going to start clamping down on aluminium dashboards for app.K cars.

2 different styles of dashboards that we have designed/made.
JohnDanbyRacing
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: