Steering columns - source? Mounting?

PostPost by: Greg Cozier » Fri May 23, 2014 9:32 am

Are you racers using the standard Elan steering columns in your race cars? How about the mounting methods, are there better brackets and braces available?
Greg Cozier
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Sat May 24, 2014 3:21 pm

Greg

Most of the race cars I have seen over the last 22 years have used standard Elan/ Triumph columns and mountings but I have seen the occasional car with different probably custom made columns and mountings.

Andy
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Greg Cozier » Sat May 24, 2014 4:08 pm

batfish wrote:Greg

Most of the race cars I have seen over the last 22 years have used standard Elan/ Triumph columns and mountings but I have seen the occasional car with different probably custom made columns and mountings.

Andy

Thanks Andy, there is a little gem of information in your response. What Triumph model is the S2 column from? Are the mounting brackets unique to the Elan?

Found this as well, great pictures lotus-suspension-f42/steering-column-bracket-t31058.html
Greg Cozier
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Mon May 26, 2014 3:24 pm

Hi Greg
The inner and outer columns are Herald/ Vitesse early Spitfire items. the inner columns are difficult to scource as unobtainable new, the brackets are a combination of Triumph lower section with a Lotus cast aluminium bracket to attach to the dash, the Lotus part is again unobtainable new, and a pressed steel bracket again not obtainable new.

Regards

andy
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Greg Cozier » Mon May 26, 2014 3:59 pm

Thanks Andy.

Neil Revington from Revington TR is a good friend of mine and an avid racer, I've asked him to find factory or competition column bits that would work. I'll be mounting the column to a rollcage dash bar so I'll try to borrow the Elan brackets to get the position right but will not need them permanently.

Edited to add: Neil asked me for measurements of the outer casing as well as the inner shafts, can anyone help with those?
Greg Cozier
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: