Race for post 66 car?

PostPost by: dmax160 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:31 pm

Hello!

Being in Belgium, there s no really locally many possibilities to race historic cars exept of course in the international meetings in Spa or Zolder.
After many years of hill climb with a lotus elise, i m really interested to prepare a car for historic racing, and i have very good opportunity to buy a 1968 S3, the car needs full restoration as it has not been driven for 30 years, but it was kept in perfecly dry place, is really complete and i could say looking almost like if it had just been stored a few weeks ago!

I actualy can have it at really good price ( i work in a lotus dealership which helps to get good oprtinities sometimes:) , but was wondering if about possibilities to race, if to focus on finding a pre 66 car is not a really better option?

Any opinions welcome!

thanks
dmax160
New-tral

PostPost by: Morukaji » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:52 am

This race is much risk.
Morukaji
New-tral

PostPost by: delle » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:23 pm

There are some yountimer race series in Netherlands and Germany:

http://www.ytcc.nl/wp-content/uploads/2 ... C-2015.pdf
http://www.youngtimertrophy.de

As far as I know, it is possible to race a 68 car in historic events, when it ist built up to the 65 specs, documented in the FIA homologation sheets.

I raced my Alfa GT in the Youngtimer Trophy, period from 66 to 71, although it was first registered in 73.

Good luck and much fun

Delle
69 S4 DHC
68 S3 FHC
delle
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:35 am

In the UK (I appreciate that may be of no help) there are a number of series that a pre-69 car could race in. Although I haven't raced for some time, this series was always well supported with a decent selection of cars on the grid. I found the other competitors a good bunch. I am not sure if they still do, but at least one race each year was in Europe somewhere.

"HSCC Historic Road Sports Championship

Like its 1970s counterpart, the Historic Road Sports Championship is for production sports and GT cars built and registered between 1947 and 1969. To be eligible, models should have a period competition history and some modifications to engines and suspension are permitted. For full list click on 'Weights' in the box below.The grids are always packed, with models ranging from TVRs to Lotus, MG, Ginetta and Turner. Extra Championship points are awarded for cars driven to and from the circuit on the road."
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:08 pm

Dmax,
If no opportunity in Belgium where are you prepared to travel to?
In the UK there are plenty of suitable races
CSCC run the Swinging Sixties series and HSCC run road sports

Don't know much about the HSCC event but the Swinging Sixties is alway full and you have to be bloody quick to get an entry.

Regards
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:15 pm

Hi,
One thing to remember about find the right car is that pre and post 66 cost the same to build but pre as you already know are worth a lot more.
Also my understanding is that racing in the UK costs a lot more than Europe so the pre 66 might be worth hanging out for?

Regards
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: