Get your car on the track!

PostPost by: dunclentdr » Tue May 12, 2015 11:12 pm

After trying a couple of track days in an Elise I plucked up the courage to take my recently recommissioned Europa (with a 210bhp Banks conversion) on an evening session at Donington.

Driving fast but with a little caution I was one of the slower cars but all great fun, all drivers acting well within their limits and I am posting to encourage others who have not tried it in their Elan to have a go.

The event was organised by Bookatrack, was about ?140 for 3 hours of driving from 5.30pm and a great way to spend the evening. Nice to be in a mixed group of cars and hold up a 911 Turbo!!

David
Attachments
1365566_FB.jpg and
1913630_FB.jpg and
David Rose
1963 S1 - Bourne bodied
1963 S1 - Bourne bodied
1965 S2
1966 S3
1969 Europa - 210bbhp by Banks
dunclentdr
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed May 13, 2015 9:16 am

Hi David
What sort of engine mods do you have in the Europa ?

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dunclentdr » Wed May 13, 2015 9:25 am

Hi Rohan

The Europa has a 2 litre, 16V Vauxhall EX 'red top' engine with various mods and fuel injection upgrades, put together by SBD Motorsport (http://www.sbdev.co.uk) and with a 5 speed Renault gearbox.

I can post a pic if you would like - it looks great in all that space in the rear of a Europa.

David
David Rose
1963 S1 - Bourne bodied
1963 S1 - Bourne bodied
1965 S2
1966 S3
dunclentdr
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed May 13, 2015 9:32 am

Always like to see different engines in a Lotus so post some pictures if you have some. With that sort of hp in a Europa you should be able to give a Porsche a run for its money especially on a tighter track woth a good suspension set up and sticky tyres

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dunclentdr » Wed May 13, 2015 9:40 am

I haven't looked into it but the engine performs so well it makes me wonder whether it could go into an Elan as alternative to the Zetec - you may know. I'll post some pics later.

David
David Rose
1963 S1 - Bourne bodied
1963 S1 - Bourne bodied
1965 S2
1966 S3
dunclentdr
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed May 13, 2015 12:11 pm

I suppose Colin knew what he was doing but with all that weight in the back how does the handling compare to an Elan ?

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed May 13, 2015 12:27 pm

Don't forget the Club Lotus track day at Castle Combe, it's probably an easier introduction to tracking your classic Lotus than one of the Bookatrack days, although of course it's only once a year. Cost is just ?99 for two guaranteed sessions, then open pit lane for at least 3 hours or until everyone gets bored wasting all that petrol, rubber and brake material!! :lol: It's 23rd May this year and at the time of writing there are still spaces. Lotus cars only are allowed on the circuit and there a high proportion of classics mixing it with the modern stuff. http://www.clublotus.co.uk/events/Club- ... -2015.aspx

To get a bit more serious but still stay mostly with like minded Lotus owners there's Lotus On Track who organise events throughout the year, sometimes in association with other club marques. https://www.lotus-on-track.com/

A Vauxhall red top will go in an Elan, but not a straightforward job like a Zetec either connected to the original box (watch that 1st gear) or an MT75. The Vauxhall would need a bellhousing to suit a T9, Mitchell cotts MTX75 or the original. http://www.rwdmotorsport.com/vauxhall-2 ... using.html
I don't have a clue on how to mount the engine or whether there are clearance or water rail issues, but no doubt can be solved if you really want to.

Thanks for posting the pictures, it would be nice to see your car and that engine installation.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Wed May 13, 2015 3:05 pm

dunclentdr wrote:I haven't looked into it but the engine performs so well it makes me wonder whether it could go into an Elan as alternative to the Zetec - you may know. I'll post some pics later.

David

it most certainly does go in an Elan.....
a chap I met for the first time several years ago at the Oulton Park Gold Cup was telling me about his elan......didn't go into great detail but joined in with out general discussions.....
as I came to go he too was leaving........he in his S4 me in my tweeked m100......
we tootled round the twistys.....got to the junction on the main road.....all clear......
then there he wasn't...........he left me for dead........now I thought my m00 was quite quick with 220bhp and a tweeked turbo but wow his flew......
he turned up at our next lotus meet and we investigated.......
2.0ltr Vauxhall touring car engine....with tweeked ecu and everything......putting out about 260bhp......
no wonder he left me........

:mrgreen:
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dunclentdr » Wed May 13, 2015 4:28 pm

Thanks for details about the track days.

Here are some shots of the engine bay - couldn't move the car as it has a wheel off and away so taken with a flash in dark garage - it looks nicer than this really. Forgot to mention it has a new chassis and suspension by Banks.

I love the TC in my S3 but I think one of these in there would be fantastic (as well).

David
Attachments
P1030231.JPG and
P1030230.JPG and
P1030229.JPG and
David Rose
1963 S1 - Bourne bodied
1963 S1 - Bourne bodied
1965 S2
1966 S3
dunclentdr