Club Lotus - Hethel Test Track

PostPost by: dunclentdr » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:34 pm

Lovely day at Hethel today - very rare chance to drive own Lotus cars on the test track, thanks to Club Lotus and Magnitude events, - first chance for my 18 year old son to drive a Lotus and also first time on a track - 210bhp Europa and a wet track, only one spin - not bad for a first go!!

David
Attachments
hethel.jpg and
David Rose
1963 S1 - Bourne bodied
1963 S1 - Bourne bodied
1965 S2
1966 S3
1969 Europa - 210bbhp by Banks
dunclentdr
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Maulden7 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:55 pm

I was in the S2 Elan David - we chatted.

Yes, an excellent event ..... despite the downpours & time spent clearing the standing water of the track.

Did you have to pay the "spinning fine"?

Dave M.
Maulden7
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: dunclentdr » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:47 pm

Hi Dave

Loved the S2 - hopefully more Elans will sign up for any repeat of the event next year - great to have chance to drive on the track and with only c30 cars on the day a lovely experience.

Happily paid the spinning 'fine' - nice for a charity to benefit from a chance to exit a bend backwards!

David
Attachments
backwards.jpg and
David Rose
1963 S1 - Bourne bodied
1963 S1 - Bourne bodied
1965 S2
1966 S3
dunclentdr
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Maulden7 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:20 pm

Ah ...... the 180deg corner at the bottom of the circuit. I had several "interesting moments" there as well! It seemed to be the only part of the circuit that never really did dry out after the torrential downpour, & too early on the power certainly got the back end out in the Elan, but catchable for sure.

As an ex owner of two stock Europa T/C Specials I know just how they handle. You're either going round the corner as if on rails, or you're facing the wrong way / spinning - no warning & nothing in between. The Elan "communicates" & you get a chance to carry on facing in the right direction.

It was certainly a good day to show all those Elise / Exige / M100 / Esprit folk how well a 50+ year old / circa 60 year old designed Lotus car can go on a circuit that isn't all about outright speed.

Apart from the 23 & Brian Buckland's S3 FHC, only your car & mine represented the "older generation" within the entries, but I think that we all flew the flag pretty well.

Dave M.
Maulden7
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:34 pm

Years ago, I must have held the record for the slowest lap time at Hethel.
Once a month (usually Saturdays) my dad and I used to sweep the factory and test track with a road sweeper :lol:
I have lots of fond memories including being given a walkie talkie by the gatehouse. We were always Lotus 8 for some reason. The test cars would come round and give us a wave to let us know they were on the track and after that, it was a matter of having cars screaming past you for a couple of hours!
Happy days :D
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Maulden7 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:19 pm

Brilliant recollection Kev.

Interestingly, I heard some of the organisers using their radios, & the main man was Lotus 7 (so they still have the same comms structure!)

The circuit itself is now built to FIA approved standard, & far better than before when you just had to find - & keep away from - the pot holes & rough surfaces. Really shows how car handling - as opposed to simple straight line speed - provides the greatest driver satisfaction. Hence how Lotus still design their cars (I just wish that I could afford one)

Dave M.

PS - there was also a Lotus 7 S4 representing the older cars that I missed last post - he passed me on the A11 when I was in a lay by on the way home making a temporary repair after one of the bonnet catches came adrift - too many rough track kerbs driven over - what would we do without gaffer tape?!
Maulden7
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:06 pm

whats making the 210 hp in the Europa - it must be lots of fun

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dunclentdr » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:45 pm

...Vauxhall redtop 2 litre with fuel injection and upgrades, bit too much fun in the wet...
David Rose
1963 S1 - Bourne bodied
1963 S1 - Bourne bodied
1965 S2
1966 S3
dunclentdr
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: