Full FIA Race Lotus Elan For sale

PostPost by: davidholroyd » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:00 am

After many years of fun I have put my FIA Lotus Elan up for sale.

Looked after by Craig Beck racing for many years. 100% reliability record this year

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Detai ... an-s1-1963

Has raced in the HSCC Guards Trophy and won races in both CSCC Classic K and Swinging Sixtes.

I hope it goes to a good home !
davidholroyd
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:12 am

Hi David
Now that you are selling your very nice car a couple of "racing" questions if you dont mind based on my thoughts below

185Hp out of a 1600 twin cam is hard to get especially with FIA restrictions. The new heads make it easier but you still need a relatively long duration cam to get the lift and revs required to produce that sort of power from 1600 cc with the FIA valve size limits. You also have to run a 4 to 2 to 1 TTR style exhaust for FIA which also is not as good as a top 4 to 1 system for maximum power. You can get the power but you give up a lot of torque and end up with a narrow power band. With a car at the 580kg FIA weight limit that style of engine can be quick and I guess less of a trade off compared to the effective 700kg limit in my class.

So the questions to fill in some of the gaps versus what i know about what s regulated by the FIA:

what diff ratio did you run and did you change it for different circuits
what seat to seat cam duration and cam lift did you use and was it the same on inlet and exhaust
what compression ratio and fuel did you use.
are reduced size valve stems allowed by the FIA and if so did you use them
do FIA regs allow a reduced size crank pulley and did you use one

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: davidholroyd » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:58 pm

Hi Rohan

what diff ratio did you run and did you change it for different circuits :- always a 4.4 with lsd .. max speed at any UK track is 130mph by gps at Thruxton

what compression ratio and fuel did you use. .. 98 Shell Unleaded + Millers Octane booster

Re the engine... That's Craig Beck department .. he has spent a lot of time on cams etc.
davidholroyd
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:14 am

Thanks David. Your gearing is a little lower than mine but your tyres are larger diameter so the overall maximum speed is similar on a long track.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elandoc » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:21 am

Looks nice David. I haven't even ordered the parts for my build up yet. Sometimes I think it would be wiser (but less fun) to just buy something like yours and be done with it!
GLWS

Cheers
Patrick
67 S3 DHC - The world's most expensive Elan has now been sold!
85 Ferrari 308 GTSi QV
76 MGB
07 Aston Martin V8 Vantage
81 Ducati 900 MHR
65 Elan S2 lightweight project under construction
73 Triumph X-75 Hurricane
elandoc
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: davidholroyd » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:15 pm

Now Sold ....
davidholroyd