Phillip IsIand Historic Race 2018

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:12 am

Finally got around to post some photos from the Phillip Island meeting back in February. My new engine and stiffer front suspension got me my fastest time there in many years. Over time my car gets faster and my driving gets slower :lol:

It took me a while to adjust my driving to the 1000rpm higher power band in the new engine which resulted from using a longer duration higher lift inlet cam as i was replacing Avgas with premium unleaded and the consequential lower compression ratio I needed to compensate for
img_20180603_0001.jpg and

img_20180603_0002.jpg and

img_20180603_0003.jpg and

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:22 am

Thanks for sharing. Beautiful backdrop for a track, and some nice shots.
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:26 am

Yes in weather like that beautiful.. When a strong southwester comes in off Antarctica it is a little bleaker :lol:

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:14 pm

Wonderful mix of cars in those shots, Rohan.

And you?re in front of all of them ! :D

Regards
R
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:15 pm

Looks great! It looks like grids used to look in the seventies and eighties-before every car got covered in advertising stickers and fitted with godawful roll cages.

Harrumph!
Last edited by Davidb on Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tjb0274 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:19 pm

Beautiful - love Phillip Island when the weather's good :-)

Are you running in Group S? That looks like Neil Choi's GTV behind you in the first pic.
1969 S4
1969 Europa S2
1990/1970 Ricciardi/Alfa
tjb0274
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:19 am

richardcox_lotus wrote:Wonderful mix of cars in those shots, Rohan.

And you?re in front of all of them ! :D

Regards
R

Our group S production sports car class has a really good mix of cars and I have race against every thing from thousand dollar sprites to half million dollar DB6 to various Ferraris. Generally people respect others cars and give them racing room though there are currently a few Alfa drivers who need to learn they are not racing for big prize money

I typically run in the back third of the fields these days. 15 years ago with similar times I used to be in the front third.

Many more big engined cars ( Corvettes and 3 litre Porches especially) these days and while my Elan is a much quicker car than it was back then i am a much slower driver. A better driver could put my Elan back in the front third of the field, it may be time soon to hand the driving over to my son :lol: though he is more into hot hatches than sports cars

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:21 am

tjb0274 wrote:Beautiful - love Phillip Island when the weather's good :-)

Are you running in Group S? That looks like Neil Choi's GTV behind you in the first pic.

Yes group S and Neils GTV

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:26 am

Davidb wrote:Looks great! It looks like grids used to look in the seventies and eighties-before every car got covered in advertising stickers and fitted with godawful roll cages.

Harrumph!

Yes I hate the roll cage look but understand the safety benefits. In Historics here we are expected to give people racing room and not test the safety limitations of our cars like they do in modern racing. Stickers are my other hate and we were "encouraged' to ad some sponsors stickers for this race that I did not like and took off immediately after as you can see form the car at the later Winton races. Dont know who got the money from the sponsors but none of it came my way :lol:

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:34 am

Your suspension setup looks very nice. I don't see much body roll in the cornering shots.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:41 am

JonB wrote:Your suspension setup looks very nice. I don't see much body roll in the cornering shots.

200 lb front springs, 150 lb rear springs, stiffer 7/8 inch front roll bar and 20 mm spacers on the rear Aeon rubber springs and 110 mm ride height all contribute. Though the car is still soft by UK historic racing standards!

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tjb0274 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:55 am

rgh0 wrote:
tjb0274 wrote:Beautiful - love Phillip Island when the weather's good :-)

Yes group S and Neils GTV

cheers
Rohan

I thought so :-) Neil's car is often on the hoist at Hugh Harrison's workshop in Bayswater when I'm over there. Hugh looks after my Ricciardi, which I still run at Alfa club sprint meetings. I also have a 147GTA which is a fun daily driver, if a little thirsty.
1969 S4
1969 Europa S2
1990/1970 Ricciardi/Alfa
tjb0274
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: David tye » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:08 am

Hi rihan, knew id find you here. David here from Adelaide. Ive brought a second elan in from usa. Great disappointment. Now need everey shaft in the gearbox replaced. Do you know of any gearbox help or i'll need to spend real money from the UK.
I've recently driven "the Bend". 35 corners- takes some learning.
Any help appfeciated,
David
David tye
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:33 am

David tye wrote:Hi rihan, knew id find you here. David here from Adelaide. Ive brought a second elan in from usa. Great disappointment. Now need everey shaft in the gearbox replaced. Do you know of any gearbox help or i'll need to spend real money from the UK.
I've recently driven "the Bend". 35 corners- takes some learning.
Any help appfeciated,
David

Hi David
I hope to get to the bend soon as it sounds like a great track. Maybe they will run a full historic race weekend soon at a reasonable entry cost. The couple of events i could have run at so far since they opened the track have been a bit expensive for my modest tastes :lol:

Not a lot of spares for Gearboxes here in my experience

You could try Fjordfour in Melbourne
Also could try advertising in the CLA and CLV magazines for a complete gearbox as a few are around from 5 speed conversions. Maybe also cortina clubs

What is the car to be used for. If for competition then a Quaiffe gear set is probably your best option.

What parts do you need ?

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:49 am

Hi Rohan

With regard to your springs...200"/inch and 150"/inch. Do you recall the free standing length of your springs by any chance...and where did you find them ?

Is there a particular spring manufacturer that you would recommend?

[I plan to run front and rear historic adjustable konis, with the Aeon springs on the rear).

Many thanks,

Andrew
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: