Sandown Historic Racing Novemebr 2018

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:26 am

A few photos from Sandown this weekend. A fabulous weekend of racing. looking back over the results for the last 20 years at the Sandown Historic meeting I was first on the grid in 1999 with 1:33 now I am 29th with 1:36. The car is about 5 seconds quicker now but I am about 10 seconds slower :lol: There were no 600 hp 7 litre Corvettes or Shelby Mustangs or Panterra's or 3 litre Porches back then which gave smaller engined cars a chance at the front but those time are past and the front of the grid is now doing around 1:20 and if you dont have at least 3 litres you struggle to get into the top 20 except for my friend in his Lotus 7 S4

sandown-2018-1.jpg and

sandown-2018-2.jpg and

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:38 am

Another Elan was running in the "MG and invited british sports cars" race. This category allows total freedom so heavily modified cars run in it compared to my production sports car category.

This S1 was built as a race car from new but its not a 26R - see the plate from Ford Developments Boreham. It came to Australia in the 70's and has had a number of owners since. it has been recently restored and come out to race again. It has a big capacity engine and 8 inch slicks and it is very light so its a quick car :D

cheers
Rohan

sandown-2018-simon-elliot-elan.jpg and

img_5187.jpg and

img_5173.jpg and

img_5180.jpg and
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:19 pm

Hello Rohan,

thank you for sharing, wish this track was not that far while winter is settling over here...

Are these JAP on your 1999 photo : do you still have them and do you know their characteristics (backspace, front space) ? and had you enlarged the fenders or significantly trimmed the lips for them to fit?

I have some (a set of 5" KO - plus a three 5.5") that I had been thinking of fitting to my S4 so that I don't strain the original 4"1/2 steel ones too much while enjoying an original period design, and eventually got around to try them on recently, but had the feeling the backspace was not enough :

JAP 5": backspace 94mm frontspace 62mm
stock 4.5": backspace 106mm frontspace 35mm

with the steel rims Yokohama A048 in 175x13 fit my stock fenders, but without a large margin... I actually only tried the 5.5" (backspace 96mm frontspace 67mm) but figured from the dimensions the 5" would still be too much outward by 10-12mm. Maybe the set I have was for plus2...
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: webrest7 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:47 pm

rgh0 wrote:A few photos from Sandown this weekend. A fabulous weekend of racing. looking back over the results for the last 20 years at the Sandown Historic meeting I was first on the grid in 1999 with 1:33 now I am 29th with 1:36. The car is about 5 seconds quicker now but I am about 10 seconds slower :lol: There were no 600 hp 7 litre Corvettes or Shelby Mustangs or Panterra's or 3 litre Porches back then which gave smaller engined cars a chance at the front but those time are past and the front of the grid is now doing around 1:20 and if you dont have at least 3 litres you struggle to get into the top 20 except for my friend in his Lotus 7 S4

cheers
Rohan

Interesting statistics Rohan. It's almost unbelievable the difference these days from the times Mike, John and yourself dominated.
Reminds me of the old adage. "nothing beats cubes."
Talking to "Grumpy Trevethan" back in the day he reminded me of the obvious fact that he was always going to have quicker lap times when he would be topping 160 in the MGBGT V8 on the longer straights and my little clubbie was maxing out at 120 odd at best. No amount of cornering and braking will overcome that sort of disparity.
You are still a warrior for the Lotus cause. More power you mate.
Dave
webrest7
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:06 am

nmauduit wrote:Hello Rohan,

thank you for sharing, wish this track was not that far while winter is settling over here...

Are these JAP on your 1999 photo : do you still have them and do you know their characteristics (backspace, front space) ? and had you enlarged the fenders or significantly trimmed the lips for them to fit?

I have some (a set of 5" KO - plus a three 5.5") that I had been thinking of fitting to my S4 so that I don't strain the original 4"1/2 steel ones too much while enjoying an original period design, and eventually got around to try them on recently, but had the feeling the backspace was not enough :

JAP 5": backspace 94mm frontspace 62mm
stock 4.5": backspace 106mm frontspace 35mm

with the steel rims Yokohama A048 in 175x13 fit my stock fenders, but without a large margin... I actually only tried the 5.5" (backspace 96mm frontspace 67mm) but figured from the dimensions the 5" would still be too much outward by 10-12mm. Maybe the set I have was for plus2...

The wheels are not JAP but a local wheel made in Australia back in the late 70's that I still use.
I run 5.5 inch wheels with 96 mm back space and that fits with 175/60 Yokohama A050R and the standard S4 body with the inside lip on the rear trimmed a little. Of course there is a lot of variation in the bodies and how they fit on the chassis so you may need to adjust a little to fit on any individual car.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: