Spa Summer Classic 2019 - 22 Elans taking part !

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:13 am

Andrew
Any idea what diff ratio he is using?
Dave
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
Shapecraft Honda powered S1(in progress)
Turbocharged 26R clone (also in progress)
Evora 400 development car ex Lotus Factory
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:29 am

Dave

I think most folks are using a 4.1:1 at Spa with for the front runners a 8500 rpm limit. I'm not sure that this is very sustainable for all budgets as Spa has several full power locations!

David (Rose)

Anyone who does such a nice resto is unlikely to be missing mechanical empathy ! The gearbox will be rather stressed in 1st and that I suspect that experts like Rohan would suggest limiting revs to 3500 rpm in 1st.

Other cars also have to take the "new bus stop" in 1st.
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: dunclentdr1 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:42 am

Haha - yes, mechanical empathy here! Plus it's a lovely rebuilt CR box I would like to keep in good shape.

About to get my hands on a 4.4 diff so that should help have enough in 2nd out of the hairpins!!!

David
dunclentdr1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mike Spence » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:16 pm

You can find some nice pics of elans@spa on the following link :

http://www.oldtimerweb.be/fotos-oldtime ... _7659.aspx

Cheers,

Michel
Mike Spence
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: redcarandco » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:35 am

Dear all lotus lovers I just discover this topic (because confined for reason every one knows) and I do agree as a spa track user (I'm belgian and lives not so far from...)with the new bus stop in first gear ...I would like to submit as silently as possible the following ""idea""from a probably forgoten workshop of the 70's the first page of their technical brochure and please read carefully ....sorry for being a little bit martyred but has been read and used thousand time ..........BUT absolutely not FIA and second existential question ...if you go to the results page of spa summer classic of 2018/2017 go to max speed reached by car during event ....it is rather surprising
Roger
Attachments
2020-03-30_090917.jpg and
redcarandco
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:04 pm

redcarandco wrote:if you go to the results page of spa summer classic of 2018/2017 go to max speed reached by car during event ....it is rather surprising
Roger

is the speed trap at Spa located after Eau Rouge/Raidillon ? I was under the impression that the recorded values are not the absolute top speed of the cars on the circuit, rather meant as a way to compare cars against a different metric than just lap or sector time...
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:26 pm

@redcarandco...

Nmauduit is correct about the speed trap on Kemmel, it is a useful yardstick but its purpose is not clear.

With respect to the article and gearing, the new "bus stop" serves a purpose (it possibly displaces potential accidents away from the bank below the trees), but it is not very gearbox friendly, especially as I understand that the 2000E gearbox should not be brutalised with more than 4500 rpm.

If you watch plenty of YouTubes, you will see drivers taking it in 1st and 2nd depending on circumstances..

The Summer Classic was certainly a wonderful event (very hot last year).

If you are interested in your local track, you might like to read my hastily written article about the 6H race on the website, Viaretro: https://viaretro.com/2019/10/spa-6-hour ... lefeuille/

I have another article in preparation on Lotus, but I'm getting rather carried away with the detail!
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: redcarandco » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:11 pm

It seems that the speed is taken more or less 400/500 meter after the exit of what we call the 24 h stands(the old ones) at a place called kemmel that means that with a FIA correct race car you are not far from top speed but the "thing " is not where... the "thing " is have you already reached such a top speed on such a short distance with a diff ratio suitable for spa which seems to be 4.1 with road tyre (205/60/13) 57 cm diameter or 4..4 with CR 65 Dunlop 60 cm diameter...Personnaly the best ever top speed we reached with new tyre and a fresh 170 cv engine (dyno tested)...is 198km/h ..................................................
Roger
redcarandco
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: