Spares stocks for the home workshop

PostPost by: JJDraper » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:28 am

Just had a thought reading through some of the threads. Any good ideas for a basic list of items to keep in stock for that Saturday or Sunday when the fancy takes you for a bit of furtling around with the car, or if there is an odd noise that needs to be checked out? My initial list (apart from a whole spare car) is :-

Oil filter, Cam box gasket, Air filter, engine & gearbox mountings, UJ joints, a couple of spare doughnuts, track rod end & trunnion bushes, roll bar bushes, brake pads

Not exhaustive yet, but you get the drift.

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:28 am

My garage has about enough bits to replace the mechanics of the Elan totally a few times over ( eg 1 complete spare race engine, 2 spare gear boxes, 6 spare blocks, 2 spare heads, 3 spare cranks etc etc). Sort of happens as you collect bits you think you may need when racing.

However the list of spares I take to a race meeting may be of more interest. I have found it covers most things that can go wrong and that you can actually fix in a weekend between races.

Complete dizzy, cap and HT leads
Coil
Spark plugs
engine mounts
brake pads
v belt
starter motor (dont take spare alternator as battery will last weekend)
set of wheels and tyres
nuts and bolts for most accessible items
globes and fuses and relays
various lengths of wire and end fittings
engine oil, brake fluid
Oil filter, fuel filter
Coolant
radiator sealer, radiator cap, thermostat
set of water hoses
lengths of fuel hose
range of hose clamps
range of loctite sealants and nut locking compounds
spare valves and valve caps
clutch slave cylinder
fuel pump
accerator cable and throttle springs
race tape and cable ties

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:34 am

The most useful spares I have in my workshop is a big selection of UNC & UNF nuts, screws washers and bolts.

You can buy these in bulk from the likes of Namrick.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotusdelta » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:40 pm

a rotor for the distributer cap....dont have one of these and you arnt going anywhere.happened to me once and ill never forget...
small socket set,screwdrivers,extra plugs, a bit of wire,some electrical tape,couple of pieces of rubber, maybe a hose and belt or two,flashlight,gloves,tow strap,can of tire fix,extra bulbs and fuses...thats about it for me...and oh yeah ,a cell phone to call the flatbed when all else fails !!....
david
72 elan sprint coupe
lotusdelta
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: