Schematic

PostPost by: DJThom » Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:51 pm

Hello. I've just purchased my first Lotus: An Elan S2. I also bought a workshop manual, and have a parts catalogue. However, there are a lot of areas (like door panel assemply, pedal box, winshield frame installation etc.) which are not covered in detail in either publication.

Is there a set of detailed schematics for this car?

Much appreciated.
Darren
'66 Lotus Elan S2 Roadster RHD
DJThom
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:47 pm

It is the same situation with my S4, not evrything is fully detailed and some bits that are detailed are wrong. On the plus side the Elan is a simple car and if you are practically minded it is quite easy to work out how most of it comes apart and goes back together again.

Of course asking questions on the Elan formus and/or mailing list really help fill in the holes :D
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:39 pm

The original w/s manual & parts manuals which ONLY covered the S1/2 are a little bit more helpful (particually the parts manual) with regard to the S1/2.
The later manuals which cover S1/2/3/4 tend to skip over the S1/2 and concentrate on the S3/4.
Non of the manuals are "comprehensive" (particually to body fittings) and I think Lotus assumed (rightly or wrongly?) that buyers of their cars had a reasonable level of mechanical skills, after all they were originally "kit cars"
Speaking of which, Are there any people on the list that bought and assembled a kit from NEW? and if so lets hear about your experience.
Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: brassringfarm » Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:31 am

I also have an S2 which I bought in pieces and had never taken one apart - so I was in the same predicament as you. I found the car to be extremely logical and easy to figure out what went where. The times I had a question, I just asked for people's help and they were glad to assist. Be sure to search archive first. I've made sketches for people and taken pictures of my car - as most people on the list have done. I ended up buying a new body for mine (in retrospect a great decision) and had to drill all the holes for things to pass thru the firewall to the engine, etc. There are no better sources of info than what you have and this list!
Paul Zimmerman
65 S2
026/4600
brassringfarm
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: