Back from the painters

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:17 pm

Elise Ardent Red with VW silver bumpers. Nice finish, 95% satisfied.
As a friend said: 'You won't care what colour it is when it comes back all nice and shiny'.
Attachments
paint1.jpg and
paint2.jpg and
paint3.jpg and
paint6.jpg and
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:13 am

Looks good, what is it that has disappointed you? I'm going to get mine done soon so any tips welcomed.

Was it stripped back to fibreglass and did you do all the fibreglass work/prep?

You're quite close to me (Croydon area) and I'm looking for a good local paintshop, would you recommed yours?

Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:51 pm

Hi Mike,
Yes I stripped the paint off on mine back to the fibreglass, 80+ hours... Then took it to Cottage Classics in Suffolk to have the arches put on and bodywork prepped.

The Painter was the one that Cottage Classics use and was just north of Norwich - an hour north from CC - and yes I'd reccomend him, but keep an eye on him.

I(?)/he made a silly mistake. I should have followed the job through more thoroughly and he shouldn't have painted the bumper valances with stone chip... why? no, I don't know why.

Basecoat and laquer, very nice finish. He'll paint to a price, mine was low to middle price... with free stone chip correction when I want!

I went to see Spadge at Cottage Classics once a fortnight or so, checking progress and following the work- good reassurance for both parties. It meant any problems could be sorted by actually being there rather than over the phone. With the paint, it was a busy month and I didn't have time to get up there. Bugger really, should have made time.

I looked around the Croydon/Bromley/Kent but CC know their fibreglass, were able to do the work soonish and they were pretty reasonable too - being out in the sticks I suppose.

Check them out: http://www.cottageclassics.co.uk/
Paint by Max Bidwell in Rackheath
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:04 am

Looking excellent...are you putting the Chinese Eyes in it? Re-doing the valances should be an easy job to blend into the new paint.

What were the ball park figures for getting the wide arches done and then the final prep and paint?
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:18 pm

Further to my last comments about the sprayer; not sure I would recomend him any more, found a nice circular trolleyjack hole in the floor by the back wheel where one of his monkey's tried to jack the car up, and, where I'd asked for red on the inside of the boot he'd used more of his favourite stone chip black! Lot of overspray on chassis and suspension. Oh well, another lesson. Paint still looks good tho'.

Anyway, engine in today. T'was a nice day and it took two of us an hour! A personal best for me. One knowledgeable car/engine helper is worth three uninterested monkeys (brothers in law).

Even No1 son was interested for fifteen minutes and tightened the manifold.
Attachments
car4.jpg and
Found a tripod engine hoist was easily up to the job and far less awkward than a long arm hydraulic jobby.
car3.jpg and
Note the angle of the dangle and all the bubblewrap. Not gonna stop a 500lb engine but stops a few belt buckles.
car2.jpg and
Spot the pipe wrap sponge around the tripod legs. Interested helper's idea.
car1.jpg and
No1 son's fifteen minutes.
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: dougweall » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:18 am

Looking very nice even though you had a monkey working on it. :shock:

You will need to change your login from SADLOTUS soon. :lol:
dougweall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:39 pm

A nice thought dougweall, but how can I be a moany ol'bugger with a login like HAPPYLOTUS!?
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:56 pm

Ah yes, but then we would know you were being ironic......
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: