Update on restoration- Lotus Elan S3

PostPost by: nico506 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:16 pm

Thought I would post the progress of the 'baby' in the gallery and welcome comments and ideas as I am getting stuck with the electric gizmos holding me up.

Paintwork was based on back to gel coat and tissue finish with paint system applied by Option 1 in Brum.
Attachments
Lotus 4.pdf
Side Shot - with hardtop in position (Colour is temporary!)
(253.79 KiB) Downloaded 749 times
Lotus 3.pdf
Front Shot- Engine bay almost there!
(202.92 KiB) Downloaded 642 times
Lotus 2.pdf
Interior Shot- lots of wiring!!!
(214.04 KiB) Downloaded 625 times
nico506
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:56 am

Looks really smart! My own car is back from the restorer's now and I'm wondering where to start - so many jobs to do. I think the fuel line is first on the agenda...

Would there be space on this forum for a dedicated restoration in progress section? Must have been discussed before.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:07 am

A mistake I've made in the past is to put the doors on and the glass in too early. Leave them as the last job before final trimming out...makes access so much easier, especialy in a Coupe or Plus 2.

I build up the chassis as far as I can, with all the brake pipes, suspension, steering, callipers, fuel line, engine gearbox prop and diff etc. Then build up the shell with loom, heater, dash complete, and all the bits under the bonnet and in the boot. Then put them together, carbs on, hook up the plumbing and get it running. Then trim, doors on, glass in, bonnet and boot on and MOT. 20 or 30 minutes tops. Well, OK, 2 or 3 months if you have everything restored ready to go back on!
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: