Identity Crisis?

PostPost by: Matt7c » Wed May 11, 2005 7:20 pm

My Elan S2 is chassis number 26/4276. It was registered for the first time on 9 Apr 65. The car is clearly an S2, because 26/3900 was the last S1. Also, it had the later light cluster from the S3, which was introduced on the S2 at 26/4127. (It actually has the S1 lights on it now, but the DPO did that 'cos he preferred that style). So, if mine is so definitely an S2, why is the battery behind the driver's seat????? :blink:

Could mine be an S2 built inside an old S1 body? Or could it be an S1.5? Although I thought the S1.5s still had the S1 'half' facia.

Any clues?
1965 Elan S2
Matt7c
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Wed May 11, 2005 7:34 pm

yes to all the above----mine has not been cut out for a battery behind the seat either ------ there are many differences between cars------we :rolleyes: ain't dealing with G.M. here ---- ed law
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jon Eckman » Wed May 11, 2005 7:35 pm

I had an LHD S2 26/4506 a while back that had the battery box located behind the passenger seat. Are you LDD or RHD?
Jon Eckman
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed May 11, 2005 7:48 pm

S1's and S2's are basically the same bodies with a few upgrades to the trim,lights brakes etc, S3's S4's & Sprints are also the same bodies with upgrades.
I have R.H.D. S2 26/3944 and as far as I am aware all SI/S2's had the battery behind the seat...................O.K. now shoot me down.
Brian.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Matt7c » Wed May 11, 2005 9:32 pm

Oh well, its interesting to learn that battery behind the seat might have been more common on the S2 than I thought. I read somewhere that moving the battery to the boot was an S2 feature resulting from complaints/feedback from S1 customers. I'll try to find the reference out of interest. Mine is a UK spec RHD.
Matt
1965 Elan S2
Matt7c
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: type26owner » Wed May 11, 2005 11:09 pm

If you're a racer having the battery there is good. It lowers the polar moment of inertia so it turns quicker. ;)
type26owner
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: brassringfarm » Thu May 12, 2005 1:43 pm

My very late 65 S2 originally had the battery behind the right seat (passenger seat here). Number is 26/4600. Agree with polar moment comment, and it should take only another few feet of wire to get the solenoid 'plumbed' to the boot.
Paul Zimmerman
brassringfarm
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: robb4100 » Thu May 12, 2005 4:09 pm

So for quicker turning it is better to have the battery in the boot? I am not sure that I understand what is meant by polar moment of inertia.

By the way Paul, I am almost finished with the door panels- thanks for the schematic. I'll send pics when done.

robb
dumb current owner
1965 S2
robb4100
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: type26owner » Thu May 12, 2005 7:04 pm

Hi Robb,
This article will explain the term PMI (polar moment of inertia). It specifically mentions the Elan BTW.
<a href='http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/physics13.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/physics13.htm</a>

I meant to leave the battery behind the seat and not in the boot.

p.s. Just add a nitrous oxide system to your Elan and it will out accelerate virtually everything on the road. Definitely the cheap way to boost the hp up to a full blown racing engine level without all the fuss and bother. I could possibly pass my brother's Super7 on the straightaways! Hmmm..... :D
type26owner
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: marcfuller » Thu May 12, 2005 8:10 pm

Keith - Thanks for the link to Beckman's pages. Great info in all chapters! regards, -Marc
-Marc '66 Elan DHC (36/6025)
http://www.lotuselan.us
marcfuller
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Matt7c » Sat May 14, 2005 6:32 am

I have found the misleading reference: its from "Lotus Elan Super Profile" by Graham Arnold who apparently worked for Lotus sales, having the task of re-launching the Elan. In a section titled "Evolution" he lists the enhancements introduced in the S2 as:

"vaneer covered facia (now flat) with chrome instrument bezels, a lockable glove locker called a 'camera compartment', new rear lights, vacuum tank integral in the chassis crossmember, battery in the boot, nicely shaped window lifters with window lock and interior door handles that did not bend if used to pull the door to."

He also writes that the only difference with the S1.5s was that there was a problem getting the new lights in time and the S1.5 were supplied with S1 lights (implying all the other upgrades were included in the S1.5). The new lights were then supplied later free of charge.

I don't know about you, but I spot 2 innacuracies in this description of S2 enhancements: my battery is still behind the passenger seat, and I have no window locks...
1965 Elan S2
Matt7c
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat May 14, 2005 8:46 am

A couple of things I find doubious as well, "vacuum tank in chassis crossmember"??? I have never seen an Elan that the tank was not in the crossmember except ones that had been modified.
As I stated to the best of my knowledge all S1/2's had the battery behind the seat and it was fitted in the boot with the S3's, a ledge was incorporated in the boot with the S3/4 body style.
I have both sets of door locks, one set has the window locks and the other does not, as far as I understand it the window locks were fitted when a car had a hard top, I found a reference to this in a manual and will try to find it if you want me to.
This would probable mean it was an optional extra.
I dont think Lotus ever made a S1.5, it was a S1 or S2. lotus just used up the S1 parts on the early S2's
I have a letter from the Lotus factory confirming my car is a S2 (26/3944) it has the S1 lights and brakes etc. One previous owner owner had written to the factory to get confirmation of which model it was. The term "S1.5" was just adopted to by people to describe the cars.
Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Sun May 15, 2005 3:39 pm

For those of us who got lost after the second sentence in Beckman's explaination of polar moment of inertia, the following is Polar Moment of Inertia for Dummys: :unsure:

Imagine you are holding a barbell at your side and the two weights are in their normal position, at the ends of the bar. Now twist the barbell so that it pivots, left and right. That twisting takes a certain amount of effort because the barbell has a high polar moment of inertia. Now slide the weights to the center of the bar, right against your hand, and twist the barbell so that it pivots, left and right. A lot less effort is required because now the barbell has a low polar moment of inertia. The setup of the barbell is comparable to the setup of a mid engined car.

Frank Howard
'71 Elan S4 SE. Low polar moment of inertia because the engine and transmission are pushed back toward the center of the car.
'74 Europa Special. Even lower polar moment of inertia because the engine is actually in the center of the car.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: M100 » Mon May 16, 2005 6:48 pm

I think one of the official Lotus parts manuals has a vacuum tank listed. I just looked through the S1/S2/Coupe one and there is nothing there on the headlamp page - I've not got the S3/S4 one immediately to hand to confirm.
Martin
72 Sprint DHC
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: simon.mitchell » Mon May 16, 2005 7:12 pm

My 1968 plus 2 had a separate vacuum tank fitted in the nose when I got it - looked pretty original to me..
simon.mitchell
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: