New owner questions

PostPost by: lotusdelta » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:36 pm

Pete,

I laughed at what you wrote but puleeeeeeze dont start with the shapecraft thing.....

David
72 elan sprint coupe
0068J serial number ...
72 elan sprint coupe
lotusdelta
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:36 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:Interesting stuff, Tim. Any idea how many in a batch? Obviously at least 78 in the case of Garys car. 29 batches for the 'Sprint' year vs 23 for the 'S4' year indicates an appropriate demand pickup on launch of the Sprint...but if the number per batch were the same, I'd have thought that there may be a few more batches in 1971.

Extrapolating the numbers, If there were 3000 S4s made, and 1928 of those were before 7001 (start Mar '68# 7896, Dec 69 # 9824), that leaves 1071 cars to be made in 1970...over 23 batches is 46 / batch. So I guess there was no fixed number per batch given Garys car.

Perhaps it makes more sense that a batch was a group of similar cars? A batch of federal dhc, a batch of domestic coupes, etc.

Mine are both 7001, one is 01 0003, and the other is 03 0025.
Mark

Mark

I have come to the conclusion that there was no reasoning behind the batches. They were sequentially numbered, though they included all types so were not similar all federal or all FHC. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps a batch was decided on as a result of sales expected.

Perhaps they all sat round the open plan office at Hethel and came up with "Right ho chaps, lets make a batch of 34 (or 21, or 45 or whatever) Sprints and re-convene once they're in the car park".

Clearly some months there were more batches than other months. So far I have no clue as to how many cars there were in a batch.

The fact that it only survived two years would indicate that the batch system was not a great success.

I assume your 0003 is your FHC and 0025 your DHC?

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:44 pm

There are lies, damned lies, statistics, and Lotus production figures & chassis records... :wink:

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: redskatejbf » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:37 pm

Elanintheforest,
Sorry about the delay in comming back to you, I had to turn out the invoice, letters etc. The car was supplied by Rob Walker Huxhams Garage Ltd. Poole Dorset 06/12/1969 total price with extras at ?1446 & 10 shillings. Registered at Winchester on 01/01/1970. the extras were Servo brakes at ?15.00, Safety belts at ?10.00 (not required by law at that time), and KNOCK ON WHEELS at ?29.00. There is not a CHROME STRIP UNDER THE DOORS. It was supplied with a BOOT CARPET that is a plastic/vinyl with a `simulated black leather` face with a thin backing.
In Jan. `73 I wrote to Lotus asking how I could uprate the engine to SE spec. the reply from a Mr. P.C. Fish stated (I quote) ; The compression ratio should be raised by machining 40 thou. from the cylinder head. Camshafts DO26EO351Z priced at ?14.80 each are required plus the following carburettor parts and adaptor blocks if they have not been fitted (un quote) . They had and there was no mention of re-jetting etc. I did not carry out any of these mods. at this time.
Subsequently I wrote again in April `84 asking if I could uprate it to a Big Valve, the reply from a Mr. J Sewter (service manager) states (I quote) The prefix `K` denotes on your engine that it is already fitted with a S/E camshafts. It is possible to convert your cylinder head to Big Valve but it will be necessary to change the camshafts to `D` type part no. D026E0351. (un quote). This part no. is as above, apart from the Z. I suspect there may be a mistake with camshafts quoted but I can confirm that the camshafts in the engine have two rings on the boss.
I subsequently bought a Big Valve engine and installed that, and have been re-building the original engine to Big Valve spec., its a long term project that only needs putting together.
I forget to mention earlier that its a Stomberg headed original engine. No. K21163.
Regards J. F.
redskatejbf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:18 am

Thanks JF, a facinating insight. I didn't know that if you didn't get a carpet then you got a mat instead...much the same type as the Cortina I guess. You price looks like a 'component' Elan that was completed by the garage? Or did you complete the work yourself? Just looking at an old price list for 1969 which gives ?1353 for the car and ??1767 with purchase tax....well worth building up the car yourself or paying a garage ?100 to do it for you.

Tim, both my S4s are dhc, the most recent purchase being a couple of weeks ago...the yellow car in the classifieds on this forum that was in Oxfordshire. It's pretty much up and running and is just about ready for its MOT. My other was off the road for 20 years, so requires a lot more re-commisioning, which is now about half way through.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: