assembledge of roadster parts - is it an Elan or will it be?

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:07 am

I saw this S1/S2 on ebay this morning, it got me thinking about my own "kits".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LOTUS-EL ... dZViewItem

I think there may be quite a few of these collection of parts around as it usually takes a couple (2 or 3) of these sad soldiers of the past in the rust belt to bring back an Elan. Any one care to offer there opinion on the feasability of this purchase. Is this Elan destined to head back to the land of its creator?

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prloz » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:24 pm

Go for it Gary, don't let it get away :lol:
Regards,
Peter.
prloz
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:54 pm

Gary..it would be a very easy project over here, in terms of getting the missing bits together at least.

When pulling together the parts for my S2 project, I quickly learnt that it was the wiper motor, heater box, pedals, door furniture, Marstone radiator, instruments and dash top crash roll that would be the difficult bits to get.. but they weren't. There's a lot of stuff tucked away, and with a combination of eBay, Club Lotus folks and an advert in LotusElan.net, most bits were obtained within 8 weeks.

And in the last couple of weeks I've found an original S2 steering wheel and horn push...the pale yellow one, not the current crop of egg yellow badges being advertised as 'new old stock'.

The engine is very easy to get hold of, as the poor old Plus 2 continues to be broken for parts, and TTR can provide virtually anything else...at a price.

About the only challenge I can see for this car, apart from putting it all together of course, is getting a pair of seats, a dash crash pad and the correct instruments.

I really do think that so long as you have the VIN plate, the rest is down to a lot of hunting if you want to get the bits for the right price, or a large cheque to TTR / Dave Bean if you're in a hurry. Interestingly, chassis number 5564 doesn't have any details recorded against it in the chassis database, but it's a late one so wouldn't attract the '65 and earlier premium for the racer boys.

The shell of this car looks like it may need a fair bit of work...the lack of much of the metal in the sills implies it's been outside for a long time, which could have led to some of the fibreglass becoming 'spongy'.

I don't know if there are any differences between a S1 and a S2 shell...I seem to remember that the doors are slightly different...a little more square on the S1 at the front edge? If that is the case, it may be a little more tricky passing off the restored car as an S2.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:36 pm

Gary

You are well into it - go forit!!

I observe that the rear photo of the body indicates that it is an early to North America vehicle - that is - there are/were 3 distinqued round Lucas tail/brake , reflector and signal lites indicating that this shell is from an S1. These tail lightes were as equiped on early Land Rovers and are still available.

But there is also a photo of the supplied S2 taillights as well. Hmm - makes you think - not origional to the car (as is not the vin plate)

This is a mixed bag of parts that that the vendor tried to build a car from.

The shell IS an S1 - the VIN plate is non relavent in this case. Buy a repro!

The doors of the S1 and S2 are the same. Interchangeable.

Asking price seems OK - try to find a roadster body these days! (It took me 30 years)

I would say you go for it and build up an S1!

Bill

(26/0538 - 26/4124)
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:22 pm

Gary

One more vote for you to pick this baby up as I am sure you need another project! The best part is it is located near home.

My vote would be a good supply of parts only. Hard to build it back with out correct paperwork and the like.

Missed meeting up with you at Log? Did you go?

Mark
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:16 pm

Well, Gary, if nothing else, you can save this from falling into the hands of your least favorite Ebay Elan part out guy- you know who I mean. :wink:
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nhhiker » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:11 am

Gary,

The one in NH is a better deal! Most the parts are there, but we have not seen it on E- Bay. Course you would have to deal with that owner!

Bill
nhhiker
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:45 am

Bill is right, we looked at a S2 that has been sitting for a few years (5 to 15) and it needs a frame and the rest but there is an engine included in the deal and is it some what assembled. The owner did not like the offer and told Bill so with the wave of a single digit. The asking price is in line with the "kit" on ebay. So I am not sure if any extra Elans are moving to Elan grave yard at my house, more than likely not.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Rob_LaMoreaux » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:00 pm

Personally I think $3000 is too much money for what is there, but that's just me. Of course the individual parts might bring that much.

Rob
Rob_LaMoreaux
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: