Service and Parts Manuals

PostPost by: jimbo » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:38 am

I just took delivery of copies of the above.

My car is a '72 Sprint and I was assured these versions cover the Sprint, but on first glance it's not obvious if that's the case. Is there an easy way to check or is there a specific publication date I should be looking out for?

Thanks,

James
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:06 am

You could check the title page. My Workshop Manual says 'Revised Reprint, October 1974' and (what's left of) my Parts List says 'March 1971'.

Also, check for Sprint references. I'm not sure there are many but the obvious one is the differential stiffening bracket. My Workshop Manual has it at the back of Section 'R', but it's not in the Parts List (makes sense as it's dated 1971?).

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jimbo » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:17 am

The front cover of the Workshop Manual says March 1970, but the last part of section R does mention the Sprint stiffening bracket.

The parts manual appears to be 07.70 ... again predating my car.

Now I really am confused!
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:31 am

Thinking about it, I suppose it is possible (or likely, particularly if they were originally from a dealer) that they were updated when new pages were issued from the factory... So, it is probably best to check for the Sprint-specific items. Does the Parts List mention the diff stiffener?

Their documentation, like most things Lotus, can be c~o~n~f~u~s~i~n~g :? :wink:

ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:42 am

All of these have been listed here before by others, I did a search to find these. I'm not sure any of them are what you are looking for but they all have good info contained with in them. There may be a late parts listing some where but I did not see it...

Gary

Late manual
http://www.duartevelezgrilo.eu/lotuselan/

early manual
http://216.92.98.7/Elan_Type_26_Service_Manual.pdf

early service parts
http://lotusfaq.org/Elan/Documents/Elan ... tslist.pdf
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimbo » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:50 am

ppnelan wrote:Does the Parts List mention the diff stiffener?

It has a column for the S4 Sprint on each page so I think I'm ready to declare success! :D

Gary, thanks for the links. I spent a while searching for online copies, but obviously not in the right places! :?
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:10 am

[quote="jimbo"]The front cover of the Workshop Manual says March 1970, but the last part of section R does mention the Sprint stiffening bracket.quote]

My manual, bought from a Lotus dealer (Roger Clark in Hinkley) in 1976 is dated "Revised Reprint, October 1974" on the front page and I believe includes all the service updates issued by the factory up to then.

So I guess your March 1970 manual will not necessarily have all the updates in it. For example, the fuel section L should have additional sections 22, 23, 24, 25 and 26 covering, amongst other things, Dellorto carbs.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimbo » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:28 am

Tim,

Thanks for the info. I have sections L 22 through 26 and can see details on Dellorto's ...

Various pages have numbers at the foot that ***appear*** to be dates. For example the index page for section L says 1072 (Oct 1972?) whilst page L.9 (Weber Carburetters) says 1074 (Oct 1974?)

I think my copy is a 1970 manual with updates ... in fact, the sections I've checked appear to be 100% indentical to those in the link Gary posted for 'a late manual' - right down to the hand written page numbers at the foot of the pages!

:?

James
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: