Help changing RHD to LHD

PostPost by: pmpsantos » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:46 pm

Hi,
I bought, as you can see in one of my posts, a S4 Sprint and it is RHD. I want to change it to LHD.

I need to know if the steering of the triumph Heral is exactly the same of the Elan, and the Spitfire? Is the same? (I found a spitifire that will go to trash...)

Another thing I have a completely new dashboard in it, can I simple turn it backward and arrange it to LHD??

Another thing, the pedal box of the +2 is the same of the baby elan?

And finally, where can i find a Hard-top to the Elan??

Thank you all for the pacience...
Pedro. (Portugal)
pmpsantos
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:11 am

Hello,
I don't think the steering is exactly the same but don't let the free
Spitfire get away. With what you already have on the Lotus you should be able to make it conform.
The dashboard could be reversed but you'll probably find routed out places below the gauges and no veneer along with switch cut out problems. I'd use the old one as a reverse template and make a beautiful new one with the veneer of your choice.
I think the +2 pedal box is too wide to fit in a Sprint.
There is a recent thread about hardtops, search detachable hardtops, Tony Thompson is mentioned as a source.
Good Luck, it sounds like a rewarding exercise for the LHD world.
Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:32 am

Pedro
The Spitfire has a much tighter turning circle than an Elan...if you fit the Spitfire rack the wheels will hit the inner arches. You can modify the 'stops' on the rack to limit the movement.

The pedal box for the Plus 2 is completely different to the Elan...you will need to find a lhd set of pedals for the Elan

Have a look at US eBay...there is a chap on there, rigdeliven in California, who has broken a few Elans for spares...it may be worthwhile contacting him to see if he can help. I have bought quite a few parts from him...he is very helpful and knows his Elans.

New dashboards for lhd are available from Paul Matty and, I think, Sue Miller.

Your rhd parts will have a value here in the UK and of course in Australia and Japan. You will probably get any money spent on lhd parts back by selling the rhd parts on eBay in the UK.

I would not recommend you start the conversion until you have these 3 main lhd components...it may take a while to find the pedals and / or the rack.

When you do the conversion be very careful removing the crash pad on top of the dash...these cannot be replaced with a suitable alternative!
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:56 am

Elanintheforest wrote:The Spitfire has a much tighter turning circle than an Elan...if you fit the Spitfire rack the wheels will hit the inner arches. You can modify the 'stops' on the rack to limit the movement.

As well as the stops I believe that the tie rods are a different length on the Spitfire rack to the Elan
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Vanden Perre » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:19 pm

Pedro,
In attachment you will find pictures of my dashboard after refurbish of the veneer. As you will see the back side is different from the front side and just reversing it is not possible.
Olivier.
Attachments
DSC01252.JPG and
Back side(central part details)
DSC01249.JPG and
Back side
DSC01248.JPG and
Front side
DSC01247.JPG and
Front side
Vanden Perre
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pmpsantos » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:38 pm

Thank you very much to all, i'll try to find the 3 parts first and then think about it!
My dashboard is completely new and is a very nice item, i'll try to sell it after change bits!
I'm still afraid of the steering, but if i can change the spitfire one i'll try to buy it.
Thank you once more!
pmpsantos
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:56 pm

pmpsantos wrote:
I need to know if the steering of the triumph Heral is exactly the same of the Elan, and the Spitfire? Is the same? (I found a spitifire that will go to trash...)
Pedro. (Portugal)

Just thought, the Spitfire doner car is a LHD car right? or the rack will not work anyway.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:44 pm

If you could find someone who is converting their Elan the other way (i.e. LHD to RHD) you could just swap parts... I suggest you start a new thread asking for such a person... :idea: :wink:

By the way, you will need to find or make a new glove box too - mine was made using the old one as a template turned inside out.

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: