She runs!!!!!

PostPost by: tdafforn » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:39 pm

After a split heater hose last year, which led to me attempting my first engine rebuild. I turned the engine (a 711m block conversion) over for the first time today, and after a slight tweak to the timing, it fired and settled into a smooth idle at <1000 rpm! :D
To say I'm chuffed is an understatement :lol:
So as someone said when I started out "it is possible for a non-expert to rebuild a twink.."
So all I need to do now is tighten the manifold and balance the carbs and set the timing..
Tim (grin ear to ear)
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:06 pm

good for you ----I have a 711 engine I have been keeping for when one of my T.C. motor self destructs -----can you send a note with any large problems you encountered ---such as deck height --part swaps --machining for the front cover --etc ----thanks --ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:27 pm

I chose to go with standard 711m crank and rods and then bought standard twink pistons from a known cheap source (60pounds a set!)
After measuring the combustion chamber volumes i settled on milling the deck to give a 10:1 compression. The machine shop were a little peturbed about taking that much off the deck, but the guys here assure me that it is OK, so we'll have to see how it stands up..
Then got a 711m conversion kit from QED which included.
1) spacer for the timing chest (complete with bolts)
2) spacer for the oil drain (nice aluminium job)
3) longer chain tensioner plunger
also got a blanking plug for the old dip stick tube.
I also have an extended tensioner bracket on order from the elan factory in Australia. It is not a requirement, but I think it'll fit the plunger better.
Finally, fitted the engine to the +2 and found it to be a little close to the bonnet.
To help this I added two spacers to the gearbox mount to tilt the engine forwards and swapped the big valve cam cover for an older LOTUS cam cover which is less thick at the front..
Can't think of much else
Tim
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:08 pm

ok ---thanks ---I have a set of 5 1558 pistons so it sounds like its a fairly simple project ----thanks ---ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:04 pm

should also add the longer chain
Tim
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: