New member, new Elan S2

PostPost by: ElanSeries2 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:40 pm

Thanks, Steve - are you using an alternator?

Mark - I had no idea about the die-casting - its not mentioned in Robinshaw & Ross, or anything else I've read, I don't think! Like you say, I've no reason to suggest the engine has been mucked about with at all, so hopefully its all original. Its only reputed to have done 69k miles in its long life. Crikey! That's less than 2k per year! I think I've probably walked/run further than my car has driven!

I'm not sure about the box, but the first gear is very tall, as you suggest.

GregZ - I've taken some photos of the underneath of the car - it does seem to be ribbed, yes. Do you want to see the photos? They're a bit dark! Here's one.

Also, does anyone know why the floor behind the seats is perforated? Should these holes really be there? And the last thing - what tap should I use to clean up the bobbins for the battery mountings?

Greg
Attachments
Elan battery location 1 compressed.JPG and
Elan driver floorpan compressed.JPG and
Elan underneath 1.JPG and
1965 Elan S2
1972 Elan +2S 130
ElanSeries2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:04 pm

Thanks Greg!
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:46 am

Greg,
I've a +2 so I'm not going to give thread sizes but bobbins are all UNC. Be very careful with a tap, they are very soft, you may well do better using a well lubricated bolt to chase through the thread.

Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Emma-Knight » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:35 am

...battery bolts should be 1/4 UNC. I bought a thread restorer kit for the car which helped a lot. It even reshaped five bobbins in the door which have been maltreated with 1/4 UNF bolts. The soft material went back to UNC, basicly no material cut out. Normal looking bobbins now! You just have to be carefull when doing te first turn to engage with the original thread cut.

Anna

PS: had a look at the first page again and apart from nice looking door trims I miss the waterproofing door stuff. especially the front door seals make heavy leaks in rain. I collected more than 1/2 litre last day out. It ran from windscreen sides down over front door trims to the floor - like an open tab :roll: It wasn't expected to rain that day...
1965 S2
Emma-Knight
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:47 am

ElanSeries2 wrote:Thanks, Steve - are you using an alternator?

Yes the car has been converted to an alternator, Lucas 16ACR.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:34 pm

Greg, let me add this shameless plug if wish to restore your interior.
Famous Frank started manufacturing Lotus Elan S1 and S2 interior components in 1998 with the approval of Lotus. He makes Seat Covers, Door Panels, Arm Rest Pads, Consoles, Console Pads, Battery Boxes, Window Felts, etc. I believe JAE, Dave Bean, and other Lotus Suppliers purchase from Famous Frank. He has owned, raced, and restored Elans for the last 35 years. He also has a great supply of used parts. And he offers discounts to club members! Famous Frank can be reached at :

Famous Frank
1797 Danforth Drive
Marietta, GA 30062

Phone 770-565-2281
email - [email protected]

Greg Z
'72 Sprint
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: