Numbers and authenticity?

PostPost by: greg.harvey » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:04 pm

Hi,

I had a potential buyer ask me "do the engine and gearbox numbers match?" ... this has me stumped because:

a) I don't know where to find the gearbox number (found another post saying the engine number is on the carb side of the engine on a horizontal face near the mounts?)

b) I don't know if they even *should* match. Can anyone shed any light? Is this a reasonable question?

Cheers,

G
Greg
+2S 130/5 Elan <== FOR SALE! PM me if you're interested...
Epping, Essex, UK

Classic Motoring Blog
http://classicmotoring.blogspot.com/
greg.harvey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: greg.harvey » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:08 pm

I'm sorry - I posted in the wrong place... :-(
Could a mod move this to Plus 2 or Things In Common, if you spot it? Thanks, and apologies again!
Greg
Epping, Essex, UK

Classic Motoring Blog
greg.harvey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:17 pm

Gearbox number :?: What is that :?: :!:

The usual question is: do the numbers stamped on the engine & chassis match (1) those on the VIN plate and (2) those on the registration document. I don't know if 4-speeds even have a number - 5-speeds have a number stamped underneath but it has nothing to do with the engine number :!:

Sounds like someone has told your buyer to ask a question and he's got it slightly wrong... :?

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: greg.harvey » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:20 pm

Ok - it's not just me then! LOL
Funnily enough, this guy is in Norfolk too. :-)

Well, I'll double-check the engine number against the VIN plate - chassis number *won't* match because it was replaced about 15 years ago!

G
Greg
Epping, Essex, UK

Classic Motoring Blog
greg.harvey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:28 am

MOST manufacturers kept track of such numbers. Lotus was, thank goodness, too cool and liquid to bother. I'd be surprised to learn that accurate factory three way matching number records exist from the sixties. Normally collectable cars are made by companys that keep such information. Corvettes come to mind, also any big overpriced American muscle car from our era.
...ps; there ARE numbers stamped on our trans.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:09 am

Greg,

The +2 chassis number (on the DVLA rcoumentation) is a the number on the chassis plate under the bonnet, there is no tie to the actual chassis so a replacement chassis is irrelevant.

The only other number on the plate is the engine number and this should be straightforward. The +2 '5' speed box has a serial number (well mine has anyway) but this isn't on the chassis plate.

I suspect that your buyer may have been looking at article on how to buy a second hand car as these often talk about checking details to make sure that cars haven't been cloned/stolen and with modern cars, it's good to check engine number and chassis number against the registration dcoument.

For Lotus Elans this is a bit of a joke as so many parts will almost inevitably have been replaced over the years. Some purists may want the original engine to be there but, for many cars, even this has been replaced. An original chassis is probably a disadvantage now as it will need replacing.

Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: greg.harvey » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:15 am

Thanks Mike. I did a HPI check and had done with it myself. I didn't bother with checking engine number against the VIN, etc. I've also subsequently chatted on the phone with the previous owner, so I know it wasn't nicked. ;-)

I'll now check out of curiosity to see if it still has the engine it was originally paired with. And it is a 130/5, so I might try and find the gearbox serial too. Is it a rave to get to?
Greg
Epping, Essex, UK

Classic Motoring Blog
greg.harvey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:35 pm

5-speed gearbox number is stamped on the casing underneath so is not too difficult to see from below, after scraping away the usual oily mess... :roll:

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: greg.harvey » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:41 am

Thanks! :-)
Greg
Epping, Essex, UK

Classic Motoring Blog
greg.harvey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: denicholls2 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:10 pm

For most American cars dating back to at least the '40's, factory build records are in fact available and include these serial numbers as well as original color, interior appointments, options installed, and details such as engine size and carburetion. For the purchaser, a perfect match of these to the current configuration is perceived as provenance of originality and does increase the value.

As noted, Lotus didn't care. When I bought Matilda, I did pay a pile to a shipper to get the original block, which is the level of detail they tracked. In case someone ever applies this standard to Lotuses to increase value, I'm covered. But I don't expect that will be the case, and would have traded both engines happily to see a Toyota when I lift the bonnet. :wink:
denicholls2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: