Lotus Factory Build Sheets

PostPost by: trw99 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:55 am

As part of my research for my web site for Elan Sprints, I have been talking with Chris Brown, the archivist at the factory.

As we are aware, Lotus had a sales book listing each car, normally details on the VIN plate and date of sale. Each car also had a build sheet, presumably attached to it as it went down the production line. This contained information such as tyres fitted (Dunlop, Firestone etc), options fitted (tinted windows, radio, etc) and so on. Chris tells me that he has not yet found any Elan build sheets, though he hopes one day to stumble upon them in some dusty corner!

However, I have been told by others that some time in the past the Elan build sheets were put onto microfiche and that this data is now in private hands. If anyone on the forum can throw any light onto this I would welcome hearing from them. You can use the private message facility if privacy is required.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andrewdmoore » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:16 pm

Tim,

When is the site going live?

Regards, Andrew
andrewdmoore
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:55 pm

Andrew

I have a test site up and running at the moment. It shall go live when I have figured out a problem I am having uploading road tests and published media. Currently all that appears is the top left hand quarter of each page!

I hope it won't be long now. I am busy at work so it is a matter of fitting it all in when I can. I'll let you know when I do go live, though.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:56 pm

Andrew

I have a test site up and running at the moment. It shall go live when I have figured out a problem I am having uploading road tests and published media. Currently all that appears is the top left hand quarter of each page!

I hope it won't be long now. I am busy at work so it is a matter of fitting it all in when I can. I'll let you know when I do go live, though.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotusdelta » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:12 pm

Tim,
Kudos to you and your efforts to get a web site up and running on sprints.
Let us know when its live...thanks for your efforts in advance
David
72 elan sprint coupe
72 elan sprint coupe
lotusdelta
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:54 pm

Going back to my original question, I am aware that there are several Sprint owners who obtained photocopies from the factory of the build sheet containing their car's information. I know Mike Pomfret was doing this in 1993, so assume the build sheets have disappeared in the intervening period.

In an effort to obtain build sheet information for historical purposes and to make available on my Sprint web-site, would any Sprint owners be willing to let me have copies of the build sheet they obtained from the factory/Mike Pomfret, or which may have come with their car?

Thanks

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JATLAN4 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:25 pm

Were any build sheets actually produced for Elans? I assume most if not all Elans were sold in kit form? Might be build sheets for +2 which was always factory built but I'm not sure about the baby Elan. There were of course no VIN plates in those days only the vehicle number plate.
As Lotus changed parts quite often especially at Series changes it would be extremley unlikely that any record of parts used in a particular car was kept at the time. eg S3's with S4 dashes etc etc!!
John
JATLAN4
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:50 pm

John

Please view my first posting at the top of this thread, as I think it answers your first point.

The vast majority of Elans left the factory with a makers plate, indicating type and unit number. Later S4s and Sprints also had engine number and paint code on them. A fair number of Elans (as opposed to Plus Twos) were built at the factory, they were not all sold in component form.

Build sheet information included type, unit number, engine number, paint code, speedo in mph or kph, differential ratio, tyres fitted, extras fitted/supplied and build/despatch date. However, differences between the series were not recorded nor the use of surpus parts from previous series.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JATLAN4 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:32 pm

Tim
I'm probably wrong but working for a supplier to Lotus in the early 70s I spent a lot of time at the factory on all sorts of problems. The thought that there was a sheet recording what went on each car does not fit in with my memories of how things worked in those fun days!!
Anyhow it will be really interesting to see if these sheets do exist and if they do actually match up to cars. I think there may have been some component swapping at dealers if they did the build but its all interesting
stuff.
Incidentally when did the S4 become a Sprint officially. I bet it was after a few had gone down the line so there will strictly be some cars called S4 that are identical to Sprint specification?
John
JATLAN4
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:54 pm

John

Strictly speaking these should be called Works Sheets. I have an example of one, though it will not reproduce well on here. So I shall type up a copy for all to see.

The clues I need to build information come from the VIN, works/build sheet and/or the sales book. I'll work up an example for a car and post it on here.

I have an answer to your S4/Sprint question, though it is on my Sprint web site - coming very soon now!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:38 pm

I have worked up a copy of an actual Lotus factory works sheet for an Elan Sprint. I have a copy of the original but it is too faded to reproduce effectively here. I have also worked up a copy of a page from the sales book; again I have a copy of the original.

First is the Sales Book page, which lists many cars. This one is interesting as it lists some of the last S4s and first Sprints made. Some members may recognise their own cars. I have added a question mark where I can not read the handwritten original. At the bottom of the page I have added my own comments on what some of the initials used might stand for. Any other ideas? I have also added my own column headings, as there are none on the copy. I can be corrected on my assumptions, as some owners will have copies of the page with their car on too; I would really appreciate a copy!

Secondly, the Works Sheet. As you will see, there is a good deal of information for the car and more examples of these for Sprints must be floating around. Again if you have one, please let me have a copy! The initials TGAR stand for Tinted Glass All Round, by the way.
Attachments
Sales Sheet Example.doc
(85 KiB) Downloaded 620 times
Works Order Sheet Example.doc
(50.5 KiB) Downloaded 534 times
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Eleven » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:18 am

Thanks for very nice information. I`m the owner of the 0305 G. I live in Sweden and are putting the car together after complete renovation.

Eleven :D
Eleven
New-tral

Total Online: