New(ish) Sprint Owner

PostPost by: jimbo » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:06 pm

With all the other recent posts I've been shamed into posting some pics of my new Sprint. :oops:

The pics are pretty much as the car was when collected although in reality it is a much deeper red than in appears in the photos. The rear end is also considerably tidier now as the rear silencer turned out to stainless steel and has polished up rather well. The rear lights have also responded well to bit of TLC.

I'll post some pics of the new airbox/filter assembly if I can manage to wangle enough time in the garage to get it all fitted! :wink:

James
Attachments
600.jpg and
431.jpg and
21.jpg and
111.jpg and
10.jpg and
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gordonlund » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:45 pm

James,

Looks like a nice car. What year is it and how long have you owned it?

Under bonnet looks pretty fresh. Any more details?

Drop head coupe's always do it for me but for practicality and security reasons FHC have always been my choice.

Gordon

Rhubarb & Custard
gordonlund
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jimbo » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:42 pm

Gordon,

It was built in Feb 72 and has been in my possession since September. I bought it from Paul Matty, who also sold it to the previous owner.

Originally it was a FHC, but was converted to a DHC at some point in it's past. The conversion appears to have been done well as it has the D-type hood frames which I am told is unusual?

The last major rebuild was in 1991, since when it's done about 5k miles. It's not concours, but it is pretty tidy. The main problems - that I know of - are some micro blistering on the nose and bonnet and the crash pad which is warped.

The previous owner had it from 2000 and based on the MOT certificates was only doing around 200 miles a year. I think it's been a garage queen for while ... :?

It was leaking petrol from the O-rings on the carbs when I got home after collecting it so I've replaced them along with the Thackaray washers (courtesy of PM who offered to do the work but I wanted to do it myself).

Since then I've somehow ended up buying a new airbox back plate, airbox and filter assembly as well! I just couldn't bring myself to put the old bent back plate and lashed up airbox back on again ... If I spent as much time and money on the rest of the car it'll never be on the road and I'll be broke!

Cheers,

James
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:13 pm

jimbo wrote:..... it has the D-type hood frames which I am told is unusual?

It is dificult to get original hood frames with the "D" cross section tubing.

Often replacement frames are made out of round section steel tubing so when cars are converted they are usually fitted with this type of frame.

It looks a nice car, I never get tired of seeing pictures of nice Elans :)
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:58 pm

How about pictures of 'orrible Elans, John? :shock:
Mark
Attachments
z8606 castle coombe 4.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:20 pm

Any Elan that is in working order and being used is a good one in my opinion... :)

That looks like a prototype Shapecraft to me......... :roll: :wink: :lol:

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:37 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:How about pictures of 'orrible Elans, John? :shock:
Mark

I suppose I asked for that one :lol:

I love all Elans ............. but I would rather see nice ones :wink:
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Pastapesto » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:44 pm

Thanks for that picture Mark, it always cheers me up that one.

More of the same please, it would be nice if we could try to find the most horrible Elan instead of the prettiest.

regards

Adam
Pastapesto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:02 pm

That is the worst I've ever seen. It's hard to believe that it wasn't done as a joke, but can you imagine someone 'doing up' that car in the 1980s, standing back and admiring the finished result?

There was a Scandinavian Plus 2 on here a year or so ago that was a pretty good candidate for worst Elan...and some folks liked it!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:07 pm

On a completely unrelated topic :wink: here is the GOOD side of my daily-ish transport...

Attachments
ElanSmall.jpg and
School run & shopping car
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:45 pm

That's allright, a little bit of T-cut & it'll be as good as new.
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:53 pm

ppnelan wrote:On a completely unrelated topic :wink: here is the GOOD side of my daily-ish transport...

Aha! I thought it was likely I'd seen your car around our fine county.

I bet your Elan does far more miles than lots on this forum and certainly more than mine!

The sticker on the nose is a new addition isn't it? .......... Is it stuctural :?: :lol:
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimbo » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:39 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:How about pictures of 'orrible Elans, John? :shock:
Mark

For some odd reason I am strangely drawn to that Elan ... it looks like a cross between an Elan and a TR7 rally car I had for my Scalextric in the seventies! :lol:

PS - it's not a patch on old swampie that was at Stoneleigh though! I bet I wasnt the only one who had a good look at that +2, although unlike some others I did hold back from taking photos! :wink:
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:26 pm

We used to take it to classic car shows and it ALWAYS attracted more attention than the near-perfect examples parked nearby, just like 'Swampy'... :) Kept getting offers to buy it too - people think they can offer you 'a few quid to take it off your hands'... :roll:

The flag on the front was a 'decoration' painted on for a local village show celebrating the Queen's golden jubilee (it has a gold border)!

ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Emma-Knight » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:39 pm

:D like that blue car - if watertight and reliable it must be a great daily driver - and you wouldn't have to be too afraid of some cat ruining your 2000 pound paint job...

Anna
1965 S2
Emma-Knight
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next

Total Online: