"its got a hemi "

PostPost by: lotusdelta » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:53 pm

Realizing that people on both side of the pond visit this site, some may not know that there is a big ad campaign running (been running awhile) for chrysler trucks that make a big deal about the fact that the engines got a hemi.
People are buying them thinking this is a status symbol and links them back to the days of muscle cars and hemi engines...ok nostalgia I get it..but hell half of em dont even know what it is ...anyhow its kinda funny because the elan twincam has a hemi...maybe I should get a sticker and plaster it on the back window.."its got a hemi"....
anyone else ever ponder this.......
thanks
David
72 elan sprint coupe
72 elan sprint coupe
lotusdelta
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Alasdair » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:59 pm

Yes, I ponder often and, there are far more engines out there with hemispherical cumbustion design.

Trouble is, most consumers have no idea what it means!
Alasdair.

1953 David Brown Cropmaster
1954 S1 Land Rover
1962 Elite S2
1966 Lotus Cortina MK1
1968 Elan S3 SS Coupe Sold.
1968 Austin J40
1969 Elan S4 SE DHC
1972 Elan Sprint
1967 Citroen DS21.
Alasdair
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elan_fan » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:35 pm

What about all those poor Triumph dolomite owners who would have to have a sticker saying "I got a WEDGIE" :oops:
elan_fan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Emma-Knight » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:04 pm

...though I must say that the Dodge Nitro Diesel comes with a nice 4 cylinder, 4 valve twincam and does 460 Nm torque with a 2.8 litre engine :shock: That thing is quite hot when you know how to ride it. I showed red lights to all kind of BMW's, even quatermiled a new Lambo convertible round some tight corners :roll: ...
That at 20 and a bit mpg! Yes, the rear axle wants to steer now and then but no problem so far.
And it does not say "Hemi" inside...

Anna :wink:
1965 S2
Emma-Knight
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:48 am

lotusdelta wrote:Realizing that people on both side of the pond visit this site, some may not know that there is a big ad campaign running (been running awhile) for chrysler trucks that make a big deal about the fact that the engines got a hemi.
People are buying them thinking this is a status symbol and links them back to the days of muscle cars and hemi engines...ok nostalgia I get it..but hell half of em dont even know what it is ...anyhow its kinda funny because the elan twincam has a hemi...maybe I should get a sticker and plaster it on the back window.."its got a hemi"....
anyone else ever ponder this.......
thanks
David
72 elan sprint coupe

I sometimes ponder why I'm from the Southern Hemispherical and why the water goes down the drain in the opposite direction. Obviously too much spare time on my hands.
Colin. ( I guess I could always get back to the restoration).
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: