Impact on value of fitting a rollcage?

PostPost by: jimbo » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:31 am

So does fitting a rollcage increase, decrease or not affect the value of an Elan? I realise it's all subjective, but just wondered what the general consensus was...
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rcraven » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:27 am

It'll make some people think you've raced the car and decrease its value in their eyes. Others may take a different view. Anyway, your Elan isn't an investment, is it? It's a black hole where money disappears.
rcraven
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:55 am

jimbo

If you come to sell your car, it will depend on whom you sell it to. A stickler for originality will probably not consider viewing your car, unless they would be prepared to restore the bodywork. Always expensive and cause for them to drop their offer, perhaps.

On the other hand, for someone concerned about safety the roll bar will be a plus (even more so if side intrusion bars are fitted, I guess). Or someone keen to race, hill climb or compete will also see the bar as a plus.

I'm not sure the value of the car is very much affected, after all when you come to sell, it will be for as much or as little as someone is prepared to pay for it at the time.

So if I were you, go ahead and do what you want to your car, it's yours to enjoy as you see fit!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:47 pm

rcraven wrote:It'll make some people think you've raced the car and decrease its value in their eyes. Others may take a different view. Anyway, your Elan isn't an investment, is it? It's a black hole where money disappears.

:D

This must be candidate for 'Best and Most Truthful' Quote of the Year!!

Peter 73 +2S 130/5 Money Pit....but she's worth it!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jimbo » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:02 pm

All in line with my own thoughts ... including the Elan being a black hole with regards to funds! :wink:
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: DJThom » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:12 pm

For me it would have not impact or even increase value. My feelings may be slightly influenced by the fact that I rolled my MGB at one point... :shock:
'66 Lotus Elan S2 Roadster RHD
DJThom
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: msd1107 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:17 pm

A somewhat contrarian point of view concerning the Elan being a money black hole.

For years, my Elan, used as a daily driver, returned an operating cost per mile less than the sedan in the house.

Just took it to the mechanic every 3000 miles.

David
1968 36/7988
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: chicagojeff » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:47 am

i thought long and hard about this same point...I got a good deal on a Safety Designs rollcage, so I put it in. I think as long as you don't go beserk chopping up the body, you can always re-glass and pretty much return it to the normal original tolerances the car had when it left the factory. More info--the car stiffened up nicely when I put it in.
Jeff
67 S3 DHC
chicagojeff
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:56 am

The roll bar I designed and fitted to my Elan picks up the lower seat belt anchors both inboard and outboard and the bolts through the body to the top of the struts on both sides. Thus no extra holes in the body and it can be removed quickly and easily without a trace.

If I was selling the car to a road going person who did not want the bar I would remove the bar and sell it separately.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:15 am

rohan for president! Do you have any of those roll bars for sale?
I also agree with David, neither of my Lotuses have been anywhere near a black hole on maintenance costs. And the other four Elans from my distant past were also "cheap to own". Now that I think about it, I made money on every Lotus I sold.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:26 am

Dont have for sale but can send you photos if interested

Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: msd1107 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:18 pm

Rohan,

Maybe post them to the Gallery section?

Otherwise, I would be interested in them. [email protected]
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: zarelan » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:56 pm

My Sprint has the Safety Devices rollover cage that Tony Thompson sells in the UK. It was fitted by the previous owner and I can say that for me it was a plus factor when I bought the car. Having not owned an Elan before I was a little concerned about driving such a small and fast car on the UK crowded roads.

If I was buying another Elan now, it wouldn't make a difference to me one way or the other. The Safety Devices unit can be unbolted if one wants to go back to originality. The only visible trace would be 2 holes in the panel behind the seats, and 2 holes in the each footwell, which all easily covered by re-carpeting.

I always thought that the black coated bars don't look too much out of place with the back trim and interiors. Plus there is the added stiffness to the car mentioned before.

One piece of advice if you decide to fit one. Think about head protection, either by covering them with foam, or by fitting head restraints, bolted of welded to the bar, which is what I did. A rear end shunt can be very nasty with a bare metal bar right behind your head.
zarelan
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:54 am

Rohan, I too would like a bolt in roll bar but will it fit into a Elan coupe?
If it is not in pieces it may not fit thru the doors. Pictures or plans would be great.

Sarto
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:08 am

Sarto

My Elan is a FHC. The bar fits through the door in one piece with the seats removed. I will post a set of photos in the gallery

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: