Other Cars

PostPost by: jono » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:17 pm

I've just parted with a Subaru Legacy tourer, owned from new, and have just replaced it with an Audi A6 Avant diesel.

The Legacy was a fantastic everday car. The Audi is nicely built but utterly dull in comparison and dynamically leagues behind, it makes a great family barge tho.

Up until the day I gave it up the Legacy felt special to drive, not a trait which is easy to find in a modern car. Surpised no one else has mentioned them - Lotus people seem to 'get' the Legacy
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: leedsj » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:16 am

jono wrote:... Surpised no one else has mentioned them - Lotus people seem to 'get' the Legacy

not exactly a dream car though eh? I also have an A6 TDi (an Allroad). Miles from the Lotus ideal really... ho hum
leedsj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jono » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:28 pm

...no certainly not a dream car but I didn't think dream cars were the subject of the thread :?

Exotic though, in an offbeat sort of way - I can't think of many (or any) other big family estates with a flat 4 engine, permanent four wheel drive, 10 gears (if you count both ranges), pillarless doors and above all bags of character - I rather suspect Chapman would have liked the Legacy 8)
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jmesh » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:44 am

My wife's 2006 Legacy Outback Wagon is the worst car I've ever owned. Absolutely no road feel, idiotic raised suspension that bounces over bumps and frustratingly slow acceleration. I refuse to drive it! I'd trade it in if it hadn't depreciated so quickly. If only it weren't so reliable...

My Prius, on the other hand, is a great car. Seriously. It's no Lotus, but it feels light, is always in the right gear (CVT trans & electric motor) and is fun to toss around a corner.

My semi-real list, besides the Elan:
-1st generation Elise (I prefer its looks to the new one)
-1st generation BMW M3
-1984 VW Rabbit GTI (still the most fun car I've ever owned)
-VW Passat Clean-Diesel Wagon (to replace the dreaded Subaru)
-BMW 2002 Tii
-Lotus Cortina
-Elan +2

Jason
jmesh
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: