Discs

PostPost by: Jens » Wed May 25, 2005 1:11 pm

Just got my rear discs back on, all according to the workshop manual... Just to fid out that..... The caliper wont fit. When put over the disc there is a gap of about 1" between the caliper and the holes it is supposed to b bolted onto. Also the disc touches the wishbone when the suspension is fully extended. I mouted the disc as sohown in the manual - embracing the doughnut so to say. What might be the problem? Is the disc facing the wrong side or is there some other explanation? Is the caliper supposed to sit on some kind of extra bracket? Am I just plain sutpid (Uhu... I know the answer to that already...)?

Help me someone... This is so annoying. I just wish I had removed them myself, as it would probably have been easier to understand and see what I had done wrong.

//Jens
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong - look at what they can do to a Weber carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver..." (CABC)

My one problem is that distance keeps me from my Elan. (36/5395)
Jens
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed May 25, 2005 1:33 pm

Sounds to me as though you have the disc's on the wrong way round, the raised part (bolts go through it) should be towards the outside (i.e wheel)
The caliper bolts on to the inside of the mounting holes (diff side).... that is the bolts pass through the mounting then screw into the caliper.
Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jens » Wed May 25, 2005 1:39 pm

That's just the way I mounted them... With the raised part (like the bottom of a cereal bowl) facing towards the wheel and the disc itself around the doughnut. Still, when the caliper is slid onto the disc and the holes are lined up there is still a gap of almost an inch between them. Also, when the rear suspension is fully released/extended the disc touches the rear wishbone.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong - look at what they can do to a Weber carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver..." (CABC)

Jens
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed May 25, 2005 1:51 pm

Hmm, I'm trying to picture what you are saying, from the outside this is the order of the units:
disc..........outside
next........ drive flange
next........ rubber donut
next.........inner drive flange
Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jens » Wed May 25, 2005 2:10 pm

Okej, that might help me... At the moment the order is: drive flange-disc-donut-drive flange. So in my case the disc is bolted between the flange and the donut. What you are saying is that I have put the disc facing the right side but in the wrong place. Or?

//Jens

Jens
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed May 25, 2005 2:24 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Jens+May 25 2005, 02:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jens @ May 25 2005, 02:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> What you are saying is that I have put the disc facing the right side but in the wrong place.

[/quote]

Yep!
Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jens » Wed May 25, 2005 2:29 pm

Great... Another 4 hours in the garage redoing something that I have already had to do because of the fact that some nitwit removed the discs.

But thnks for helping me out! This forum is far more convenient and helpful than the Workshop Manual. All that the book told me about reassembly was "Proceed in reverse order" - yeah, right as if I didn't understand that.....

//Jens :ph34r:

Jens
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: