Number plates for UK MOT

PostPost by: Jason1 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:12 pm

Hi

Has anyone taken their car for a MOT lately? I read somewhere that the rules had changed on front number plates.

I cannot find where I read it but looking on the web it seems that the number plates back and front must carry makers name and a BS number.

I am just thinking if it would be worth having a front plate made-up and cable tieing it to the front grill for the MOT as my car has no front plate just the white letters/numbers on the grill?

Any thoughts?

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elan_fan » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:58 pm

From the DVLA website: Vehicles registered before 1st January 1973 have seperate rules regarding the classic type of plate. Your MOT man may well tell you that your plates are wrong but he will be wrong, and if so dump him and go find someone who is a bit older than your car. Or if you really want to start the fireworks get the local ministry inspector to meet you at the test station after the tester fails your car on the reg plates, they go absolutely ape at the tester.

regards
Mark
elan_fan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gordonlund » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:58 pm

Jason,

A number of threads exist on this one. Try typing in Number plates on the search.

My +2 passed the MOT test last May with the numbers in the grill, as it left the factory. That is the key. If a MOT tester gats shirty show him the factory pictures.

Gordon
gordonlund
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gordonlund » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:23 pm

Scan of Lotus brochure did not attach. Here it is showing factory number plate position.

Gordon
Attachments
plus2s-02w.jpg and
+2S Factory brochure
gordonlund
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:23 pm

The MOT rules are quite clear, and I quote:? ?Registration plates - must be appropriate for the year of vehicle, unobscured, correctly spaced letters etc?

When I bought my Elan the rear plate was a mondern reflective type ? it simply didn't look right. I changed it immediately for white letters on a black plate. No comment has ever been made by an MOT tester.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:25 pm

Hi

I have emailed VOSA to try and get something in writing.

Thanks for the advice, sadly there are only 2 MOT testers in my village and I have already upset one so really can't afford to upset the other or I will have to drive the un-MOT-ed car 15 miles to the next tester.

I try to keep the car MOT-ed at all times and then it gives me more choice, but let this one slip when the new baby came along. I searched lots on the net and it turns out that there is no limit on mileage to/from the tester that you can drive the car un-MOT-ed :o

Just thought there must be someone out there that has had their MOT recently?

Cheers

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:44 pm

Hi

After further digging it appears that the new rule has been suspened???

http://www.motuk.co.uk/images/SpecialNotice10-07.pdf

So it could come back soon, quick, to the testers :D

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ianf » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:24 pm

While you are at it don't forget to advise the tester of the cars weight or you may fail the brake test as well. If they input the correct weight (and most will assume 1,000kg+ if you don't) you will pass with flying colours.

Cheers,

Ian
ianf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: handi_andi » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:45 pm

Or they will do what mine did and take it to a weigh bridge, at which point it broke down on way back to garage and the MOT man is still mumbling about that damn stupid electronic module thing and fitted a set of points!

There is an article on the suspension of the number plate rules in one of this months classic car magazines.

Andy
Live life to the fullest - that's why I own a Lotus
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 4cliff » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:43 pm

My S4 Elan passed last week - all OK with original style number plates.

I did put a new style yellow reflective with the EU stars on, at the rear (temporarily) last year to make it legal going to France. I couldn't find room to put a GB sticker anywhere other than on top of the boot lid.
John
!970 S4 SE
4cliff
New-tral

PostPost by: ianf » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:50 pm

John,

I have used a small stiff magnetic (!!) GB plate and fix it by losening the n/s number plate screw, pushing its edge behind it and re-tightening. It just fits below the boot lid and touches the lamp assembly. Probably not strictly as it should be but I've driven probably 20K + miles in europe and haven't been stopped.

Cheers,

Ian
ianf
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: