S2 Elan recently aquired

PostPost by: sinkyb17 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:15 pm

Here is a pic of my Elan S2 I bought last year after trying to get it for nearly 30 yrs. It is a 64 car with 50,000mls on the clock and a huge history file.It has a fully documented balanced engine and close ratio box.It is not a show car but it has a lovely patina as nobody has touched it for nearly 20 yrs.

regards Dave.
Attachments
untitled1.jpg and
sinkyb17
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:06 pm

Drool....... :D
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:31 pm

The best colour, Dave. I'm restoring an S2 currently, and the original colour was red...as I always wanted a yellow elan I figured that it would be re-done in yellow...then I went and bought a yellow S4.

But seeing yours...you can't have enough yellow. Mind you, in the summer the flys and the wasps like it too!

More story Dave.....and pics if you have them.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:47 pm

... Nice little car , Dave , but...
Don't wait that much to drove it !
Btw , my advice ; paint the sill in matt black as it should have been at the time ... This will enance the ligne of the body ...
Christian.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:36 pm

Hi Dave,

8) It looks great mate. Welcome to the forum..

When you are passing come on up n see my efforts with the Sprint. Chassis is finished and rolling again :D :D

More details on the ''new car arriving'' post..

Alex B
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sinkyb17 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:38 pm

Here are some more pics of my elan with some other info. The car had a new Lotus supplied chassis in the eighties and has only done 5,000 miles since. It was owned by an 84 yr old gentlaman who had it for 32 years (now thats dedication for you) he purchased from someone who stays round the corner from me 32 yrs ago and I took it round to show him (he still stays there) and he was totally gobsmacked. The car is amazing to drive as it is so precise and quiet (it has one of the quitest twinks I have ever heard) and I being a Motor Engineer by profession I have built a lot of engines including twin cams. It is so different from my S3FHC which is still sitting on UK Sportscars Website (but that is another story) My desire is probably not to restore it yet as it is so nice to drive, and anyway you only usually end up with a car which is so good you do not want to use it and as far as I am concerned is not wot they were built for. (show cars that is).
Regards Dave.
Attachments
New Elan Eng.jpg and
Interior.jpg and
sinkyb17
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Leo Leentvaar » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:21 pm

sinkyb17, thanks for posting those pictures. 8)
It appears to be in good nick and hope you will enjoy it for as many years as the previous owner clocked.
Leo Leentvaar
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:17 pm

It looks lovely, Dave, and there?s something very special about a car that has been owned by one person for so long.

In the last couple of years, there has been quite a surge of interest in the S1 and S2. If they are kept or restored to original specification, they are the most valuable of all the Elans?except the genuine 26r of course. Some of the finer examples are nudging Elite values.

Club Lotus is supposedly setting up a register for S1 and S2 as the non-racer clone is quite a rare beast in the UK. A lot went to Japan and the USA in the 80s, when parity with the dollar meant that they were very cheap. Many others have been turned into 26r replicas, so the original road car has become a lot more desirable. I know of several that are currently being restored, after being in the same ownership for many years. Some of these are cheque book restorations, with anything up to ?30k plus being spent.

If you want to know what is original and what isn?t, if you have an interest in such things, there are many on this forum who can help. I?m trying to put mine back to as close to factory spec as I can, and I think that I?ve just about got all the right parts now. A new rubber carpet kit arrived from California a few weeks ago and looks superb. It?s great fun just finding all the bits.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:18 am

Looks like all you be doing is having fun. An Elan and a MINI. Motor on.
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: