Attachments
kljihiyt.jpg and
primrose
Nigel Robertson
robcall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:18 am

As I was saying, there are at least 78 yellows used on Elans in the 60s......
I'll get to the bottom of it one day...maybe. I'll pester the likes of Ken Myres / Miles Wilkins who may be able to shed more light. Miles likes to be inturrupted whilst he's busy :shock:
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:30 am

Mark

I asked what the differences were form a late S1 (3800 or so) and Early S2 (approximately 4100). Most were interior changes, possibly lotus was trying to satisfy customer requests.

The painted black bezels on the instruments were used by Lotus (A) because they cheaper, (B) they were leftover from the Elite production (C) they liked the looks? I'd put money on the answer (A) and (B). When they ran out and wanted to move up market they bit the bullet and spent the money on the Chrome ones and called it a new model.

The trapezoidal shaped pedals and pedal pads carried over at least to 4045, probably 4109 when the real changes occured with clutch and brake master cylinders and front calipers. Rear outboard axles, rotors, and half shafts changed too.
I would guess the pedal pads and pedals were changed because they got a better price from Triumph than Ford was giving them.

4020 had one bent chrome window lift, the other was later S2, which one was replaced during the years I don't know.
This change (probably) happened because they looked cheap

I've got one very nice pair of the trapezoidal tail lamp boot covers from 4045, not sure about 4020, they were tossed out because they were rotted.
The trapezoidal boot tail lamp covers were used because (my opinion here) because they was less steel, cheaper and lighter. When it came to fit them it took longer to snug up the nuts on the lamps. These always seem to be left off of my rebuilds because of it.

The bottom line is there were not enough differences to justify a "new Model" when the chrome badges were changed to "Elan S2" at or around 26/3901 This was more of a marketing campaign as winter was setting in by Chapman and boys to sell more cars at a lesser cost to Lotus.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:40 am

Now you're talking my language Mark,
Torx, double hex., socket head, stainless, phosphated, passivated zink; oh hold me down.
Talk about frustrated yet another mention of Elites & a picture, will have to up the anti-depressives :lol:
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:53 pm

That last elite is the "primrose" I remember - was most use to seeing on Jag XKE's though -

Gary - My boot lamp covers on 3808 still have the hold-down straps for the hood cross bows do you have these also ( I always assumed these were there for the bows and no other reason, but it could be the typical lots useing one part for two functions thing...
Attachments
boot-lampcvr.JPG and
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:23 pm

cabc26b wrote:That last elite is the "primrose" I remember - was most use to seeing on Jag XKE's though -

Gary - My boot lamp covers on 3808 still have the hold-down straps for the hood cross bows do you have these also ( I always assumed these were there for the bows and no other reason, but it could be the typical lots useing one part for two functions thing...

Hi George
I am not sure if 4045 has the straps or not, 4997 does have them but these are the box type tail lamp covers. I'll post photos later after I look around some more.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:48 pm

The hold down straps are something I've never seen...now I need a pair of those as well!
Something that I did know that I needed is the centre 'stay' or rod, that supports the middle / rear of the boot aperture. Does anyone have a detail pic of one of these, with the brackets at each end? Or one to sell?? And a pair of hold down straps!!!
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:09 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:The hold down straps are something I've never seen...now I need a pair of those as well!
Something that I did know that I needed is the centre 'stay' or rod, that supports the middle / rear of the boot aperture. Does anyone have a detail pic of one of these, with the brackets at each end? Or one to sell?? And a pair of hold down straps!!!
Mark

Comes with the Elan if you want ot buy it...
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:05 pm

Could be a pricey way of buying a rod and a strap!. Most of these odd little bits I have bought from eBay USA. The cars aren't being broken over here, and they've probably rusted away a long time ago.
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:07 pm

I took some photos of parts from 26/4045 and some others 26/4997
These bits were in the same box, all from 26/4045 except for the tail lamp covers and straps in the bottom photo which were from 26/4997

Pedal assembly from 26/4045

Trapizoidal tail lamp covers

Door latches from the same 26/4045, they open the other direction than my later S2 26/4697, must be S1 units?

All of the bits dumped out of the box onto the floor

These tail lamp covers and straps are from 26/4997
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:39 pm

Great stuff, Gary. Pictures clarify so much detail.

Those straps look like army surplus bits, for strapping something to a kit bag!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:57 pm

You can bet that Lotus didn't pay much for them. I do believe the sole intention for the straps was to keep the bits of the hood from sliding around when the top was down. I have not seen them in use so I do not know if it was just for the 2 cross rods of the cant rails or if they tied them in place too.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Barney » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:06 pm

Looks like I may have to try & find/make the stay. In all the time I've had mine there was never any stay (or for that matter light unit protectors).

Add it to the list

Cheers
BARNEY
Elan S2 DHC (26-4399),
Barney
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:53 pm

I think that there may have been another place for stowage of the cant rails. On both my S2 cars, the boot prop (that holds the boot in place when open) has the remnants of a 2inch wide ruberised strap (where the prop bolts to the underside of the hinges).

I was told by a knowledgable that there were a pair of straps, hanging from each set of hinge bolts, that the cant rails would fit into. Anybody else seen these?

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:50 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:I think that there may have been another place for stowage of the cant rails. On both my S2 cars, the boot prop (that holds the boot in place when open) has the remnants of a 2inch wide ruberised strap (where the prop bolts to the underside of the hinges).

I was told by a knowledgable that there were a pair of straps, hanging from each set of hinge bolts, that the cant rails would fit into. Anybody else seen these?

Mark

I think you are right Mark, I forgot about that stretched out strap attached to the boot prop mount (the other end mounts to the hood/top catch (MGB part). I have only seen one strap on the S2's that I have come across. Neither of those made it back into 26/4697. the redwood fuel tank dip stick doubles as a prop rod for the boot.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: