Progress Report - about done ( except set up )

PostPost by: cabc26b » Fri May 09, 2008 11:01 pm

Used some nice dry weather here to step up the work - prognosis is looking good for a retunr to the track in the fall, heck I may even return to the scene of the crime .... SWMBO however thinks the car should not retun to the track ....

enlisted the help of better half to help with install, only mashed her hand once -not good - likley to cost me more than the paint job..... my racing buddies only require a beer or two on stuff like this.

Did a trial fit on the new rear arms, I put the wheels on and rolled it out fro some pictures - ( first time in 7 months it's been on its own wheels) -
Attachments
s2-done2.JPG and
s2-done3.JPG and
s2-done4.JPG and
s2-eng-l3qtr.JPG and
s2-eng-frt.JPG and
s2-3qtr-full.JPG and
not sure this is the exact color the car ran in period but its one I like. I will not be affixing the Beer logo's ( sponsors ??) it ran with in the 60's
S2-3qtrFls.JPG and
Used PPG concept again - this formula/color presented some challanges I did not face with the S1 I painted in 07.
Last edited by cabc26b on Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Fri May 09, 2008 11:33 pm

Hi George

I wish I could say something other that it looks great, the problem is, it does looks great.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Fri May 09, 2008 11:58 pm

Beautiful!!
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint » Sat May 10, 2008 1:40 pm

George what a gorgeous job i have to agree with her indoors i would be frightened to take it on track it is so nice but you have my admiration for doing so.
Ian
elansprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: dougweall » Tue May 13, 2008 7:37 pm

Oh my, that is simply stunning, I just wish I could see it in the flesh as it were.

I think the Elan looks so much nicer with headlight covers, just my opinion though. Hope to see a really nice set of wheels on the next update.

Doug.
dougweall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue May 13, 2008 8:26 pm

That is some paint finish for a track car. Stunning. You won't want to get any closer than 50 foot to the car in front for fear of stonechips! Just make sure you make pole at every race.

What colour is it?....Don't say Red!!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Tue May 13, 2008 11:40 pm

Gents

Thanks for the kind words, helps with making me feel ok about putting the time into the finished product.

Color is regency red , ( Jag formulation) , the color is neat in the flesh and changes with light(s) see attched -

Wheels are magnesium 26R wheels - I hope to send them out to be re-surfaced via DOW 9 or maybe some other conversion process.
Attachments
s2-hdon.JPG and
inside - no flash - when flash is used nore orange will come through , kind of like carmen red
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Wed May 14, 2008 7:46 am

That's terrific George - I'm also intrigued by the design of the dolly that you've got the body/chassis resting on - could you post pictures/dimensions of that too ?
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed May 14, 2008 8:59 am

Here she is again after a bit of jiggerypokery....
Mark
Attachments
s2-hdon.JPG and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed May 14, 2008 9:39 am

Stone chips in a race cars are a real issue. the front of my Elan below the bumper and the front of chassis cross member have had about half the paint blasted off by flying stones over 20 years of racing - good thing the car is so low its hard to see :D

I also need to replace the windscreen about every 3 years due to stone chips. For some reason the top of the bonnet does not suffer so much - I presume due to its slope the stones glance of

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Wed May 14, 2008 2:47 pm

Mark - cranking up the light/saturation will do that, but the in the flesh the car will look more like the un re-touched photo in the shade-

Rohan - I am thinking of getting some helicopter tape to see if that helps keep the chips at bay on the body front and down low on the fender flares ( the bumpers I just respray)

my windshield is polycarbonate and I have been able to buff out most defects so this might be an option for you plus it saves weight....

Richard I will post some pictures of the dolly(s) later , but they ( I have one under the s1 now as well) are 4 feet x 4 feet and I raise the car on the cross memebers to facilatate painting and sanding. I find larger wheels better for my purposes and on caster two. I will have a surpus here shortly so anyone in need is welcome to stop by and borrow one....
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:31 am

The end - don't want to have to do this again anytime soon....
Attachments
s2-done1.JPG and
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gino1 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:03 am

Hi George,
Really nice restoration job you are doing and i'm envious of the 26R hubs you have fitted.
I have the set of 26R centre shafts to fit with spinners but I have never seen exploded views of the other parts necessary; are the uprights the same ?
I also have a second set of 26R type hubs: me thinks that someone has machined these. They appear to be adaptors and fit onto the standard hubs with 4 bolts.
I'll post some pictures next week maybe you can help me.
Gino
S3 Elan Coupe '65
S3 Elan Coupe '67
+2 Elan '69
gino1
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: