Chassis numbers

PostPost by: mjreith » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:15 am

Hi, Quick query re chassis numbers. According to my logbook the chassis number is 3620021E, however my MOT says 7001.020021E which I can see on the plate positioned on the rear bulkhead, although it is described as the unit number. The discrepancy has resulted in a letter from the DVLA. Is there any other place on the car where chassis numbers are usually located.

Thanks Mike
mjreith
New-tral

PostPost by: robcall » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:41 am

The car is a fixed head-type 36.In this case an S4 Elan.
The chassis No. is 7001020021E -and describes year,month,batch No. and is unit 21 fixed head domestic.
The chassis No. and the unit No. are the same thing as far as registration is concerned.
This number is present on the chassis plate which you have located on the bulkhead,and also present on the original chassis beneath the carbs.
If you've had the chassis replaced the numbers won't match!

Your best bet is to present the chassis plate-it has type 36 stamped on the top right corner and the bulk of corresponding numbers which match up with the logbook-which has not been filled out correctly.
Last edited by robcall on Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nigel Robertson
robcall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:53 am

Take a look on the right front top section of the chassis leg just in front of the engine mount. This is the original chassis off of 26/4997 and has US 65
in front of the 26/4997

not too many Elans around with there original chassis though.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

A quick e-mail or phone call to Lotus and a letter from them to confirm the VIN will be the only way to satisfy the DVLA.

Contact details:

http://www.lotuselan.net/publish/lotus_ ... tory.shtml
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:55 pm

mjreith wrote:Hi, Quick query re chassis numbers. According to my logbook the chassis number is 3620021E, however my MOT says 7001.020021E which I can see on the plate positioned on the rear bulkhead, although it is described as the unit number. The discrepancy has resulted in a letter from the DVLA. Is there any other place on the car where chassis numbers are usually located.

Thanks Mike

This keeps coming up & I had trouble a year or so ago when the MOT got computerised.

As long ago as 1978, the Ministry of Transport inspectors ruled that the 'chassis' of an Elan is a subframe and does not carry the identity of the vehicle. The identity is the body, epitomised in the plate. Tell the Garage trying to do your MOT!

It is a very bad mistake to tell DVLA that you cjhanged the chassis number, all sorts of red-tape hell is let loose. Been there...done that :(

If you have accidentally done so send a follow up letter saying that it was a mistake as the identity of the car is inherent in the fibre-glass body unit.

If you have a replacement chassis get some number punches & punch the original Unit Number onto the chassis
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: