In Memoriam

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:25 am

In Memoriam
Ellis Cahn, DDS
March 6, 1947 ? June 13, 2008

Ellis Cahn, 61, was a curmudgeon in the best sense of that word. A gruff countenance and a raspy voice could make one think he was a crotchety old man?and yet under that slightly bent exterior dwelt a little kid full of mischief, occasionally revealed by a wry smile. He died in the paddock of Pueblo Motorsports Park from an apparent heart attack doing two of the three things he loved the most. They were, in order, his dental practice, his Lotuses, especially his beloved 23, and his vintage racing.

Ellis was a fine and careful practitioner of the dental art. He was devoted to his patients to the degree that he told me every single time I went in for a routine exam, ?No patient of mine is going to lose a tooth! It is not allowed!? Then he would say something like ?So brush this way? or ?Floss like this?. He would always ask about some technical thing while my mouth was full of cotton pads or something and not really care that I couldn?t answer. He would just conduct both sides of the conversation himself. When I would occasionally wince, he would say ?That didn?t hurt me?Suck it up!? then chortle about the joke he made.

His love for things Lotus was well documented. He drove his Elan Coupe everywhere in the summer months, but most of all he loved his 23B. He had researched its history back 11 owners to the Arciero Brothers who had several name drivers in it with Parnelli Jones being the first. Parnelli campaigned the car in 1963 with some success and Bobby Unser set a record up Pikes Peak in that very car that still stands today. Ellis had restored it to its original red Arciero livery making it one of the few 23?s that wasn?t green and yellow. He took it when he went to his first ever LOG in Aspen last August and couldn?t stop telling everyone he met what a wonderful time he had and what a great group of people are associated with Lotus.

And the thing he loved best about that 23B was vintage racing it. He loved the people, the camaraderie, and the energy around the vintage racing community. Sharing stories, exploits and information with fellow competitors and admirers of cool old racecars made his eyes light up. Vintage race weekends were anticipated, enjoyed fully then relished long after they were over. He was so proud of his car. He drove it well, yet always mindful that he was only a caretaker of the car and it had a history that needed careful stewardship. He said the car was more important than he was. I believe the car was lucky to have found him.

Godspeed, Ellis.
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: