Telegraph motoring

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:27 pm

James May on the back page of Daily Telegraph Motoring section.
It has to do 45mpg and 0-60 in 8 seconds.
Maybe some of you Zeteceers may be able to acheive that. I certainly can't get 45 to the gallon!
How about a diesel Elan :shock: !!

ps. Hope it's readable.
Attachments
telexx.jpg and
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jmesh » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:47 am

I love it. He's totally right about new cars. My dad's 1986 BMW 528e is about the same size as the current BMW 3 series. Most new cars (Lotii excluded) are fat and heavy. It's unfortunate.

I averaged 30mpg on the way to LOG 27 in Aspen last year. Including mountain passes and highways.

Jason
jmesh
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:39 am

With a 3:55 rear end, 145x80x13s, a semi close trans and driving like I had an egg on the throttle, I got 35 MPG of the most boring driving I have ever done. Logged it and will never be able to restrain myself again.
Jason, 30 MPG though the Colorado mountains ---not bad---
Sarto
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: John Larkin » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:35 am

I keep a log of mileage and fuel consumption, and over the last five years my S3 has consistently done 22 MPG, Imperial (18.3 miles per US gallon) on long journeys, and 19 MPG around town. I seem to remember that I ONCE achieved 32 MPG about twenty years ago.

John Larkin
1967 S3SE FHC, 1974 Rover P6B, 1949 Lancia Aprilia
John Larkin
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:30 am

The Lotus Elise is already there. A high performance sports car that is fun to drive, light weight and fuel efficient. Then there is the Mini Cooper S light weight for a modern 1205kg and 149 carbons with 45mpg although I only get 36mpg but I do have a heavy right foot.

I totally agree about the size and weight of new cars. The MX5 is bigger and heavier than the Elan but has less space inside :roll:
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:43 pm

SADLOTUS wrote:I certainly can't get 45 to the gallon!

Motor road test of Elan S3 SE fhc with Weber carbs & 3.55:1 diff:
46.5mpg @ 40mph
44.7mpg @ 50mph :)
40.2mpg @ 60mph
29.8mpg @ 70mph
If you drove everywhere at 30mph it suggests you could get 63.3mpg 8) ...but you wouldn't be popular on the 'open road' or have much spare time :!: :wink:

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bruce Crowthorne » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:37 pm

Like Steve said, the Elise is already there, and has been there for 10 years!

I have had my Elise about 8 years, added over 100k miles and have AVERAGED 39.33 mpg (UK gallon) over that period.

Like John I have been logging mileage and fuel for years. Largely for my expenses, but now it has just become an interesting habit.

In contrast, my Elan has only done 1500 miles since it's rebuild and I have only logged two tanks of fuel, but it seesm to be getting 32mpg.

Bruce
Bruce Crowthorne
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:40 pm

I used to say that my Elan typically did 25 mpg and 60 miles on the last gallon in the tank if it was a Sunday night...

:lol:
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: denicholls2 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:13 pm

Take the Europa in the picture. (Or, an easy-to-find project car, available, woe is me, for a lot less than a project Elan.)

Call John Pels in Texas (Europa list) and order up his Toyotus kit. If you avoid going for a blacktop, your efficiency will probably improve but your grin may be smaller.

In a Corolla, my 4A engine returns a comfortable 36 MPG US even after 250,000 miles of flogging. I can't imagine that the simple transfer (which he's claimed can be accomplished in a weekend) wouldn't add at least another 10 if you keep your foot out of it.

There's nothing mechanically questionable in a Europa besides the powerplant, so reliability happens along the way. And a stock S2 will meet the acceleration standard, so adding a bit over 50 percent more horsepower with the mildest 4A will surely do much better -- I believe I've heard Toyotus claims in the 5-second range.

For the most part, you Elan guys seem to be purists. It seems to me that if it's no big deal to put Toyota power through a Renault gearbox, it should be less hassle to upgrade a Ford, or maybe even adapt the whole lump from a RWD donor and gain a five speed too. But I hear no stories except regarding Sevens ...

Are you lurking out there waiting for words of approval? Inquiring minds want to know.
denicholls2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:14 pm

Hi Doug

Elans still have value as stock (or stock looking) compaired to a Europa.
If you want a real project stop by again and please show us how its done. I can help with some real beaters that have all the value taken out by neglect and poor accident repair. If you want to bring back to life the Elan that went swimming in 1978 I can make you deal. A VW turbo diesel in a beater Elan running on veggi waist oil couldn't get much better.

Your move

Gary

p.s. the black smoke wouldn't be out of place in the least...
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:17 am

Bit off topic but it was interesting to see a BMW 528e mentioned.
The Eta concept was a very good derivitive of the old M20 engines.
Low revs & high torque with reduced internal friction gave good fuel consumption & combined with the correct back axle ratio a very "torquey"
fast car. Acceleration was good also.
It was a good idea but the low revs did not fit the "image" & the cars fitted with the engine didn't sell too well because of an abysmal marketing strategy.

My Zetec powered Elan S4 soaks up the fuel but it is on 45 DCOE's, not injection.
Erm, I do have a heavy right foot as well :D

John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ncm » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:56 pm

Hi Doug , do you mean like this :wink: ,trouble is there are a lot of little problems in persuading the Toyota engine to fit in the Elan chassis/shell..I dropped this motor in a few years ago whilst the twink was out for repair..

Brian.
Attachments
pic 2.pdf
(291.39 KiB) Downloaded 472 times
pic 1.pdf
(311.95 KiB) Downloaded 450 times
ncm
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:29 pm

Only in Australia!
Bet you don't even have to twist your head around Rohan :?: :lol:

Apart from that though, amazing; fits even with the original intake manifold!

John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:38 pm

Forgot,
there's some really mgic things you can do with Europa's; take a glance at ""Europa Engineerings" site.
I've heard that they recently even put a VW Smart powertrain into one :roll:
Their 47's & 62's can look the dog's danglies when done well.
(well I think so :oops: )

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: