Any news on Tax status of 73/01-02-03 Sprints?

PostPost by: soggster » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:09 pm

Hello,

Regarding the Lotus uturn regarding sprints built in 7212 being given VIN's in 1973 and thus losing tax exepmt status as they say they've no proof, is there any news on whether this is still the case?

I've a vested interest (VIN 73020889G)

Cheers

Andy
soggster
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:02 pm

soggster wrote:

I've a vested interest (VIN 73020889G)

I'm also interested [mine is 7302C0639E] and perhaps should have been quicker off the mark when the article in Club Lotus mag first came out as I understand Lotus are not currently able to confirm the "built in 1972" status.

Richard
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elan_fan » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:02 pm

OK, can of worms mode - /on

what about scrapping the tax free status all together and then we might have a better shout in parliament when they try to ram through the next stupid big brother law like running lights or trackers or banning the sale of spare parts to anyone but a main agent. I have 2 cars that are tax exempt so I stand to lose but wonder if I mighht gain in the long run.

regards
Mark
elan_fan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:33 am

Richard, Andy

I have no more news on this issue at the moment. Therefore as things stand a 7301 or 7302 Sprint does have to pay car tax (unless you are one of the fortunate few who have a letter from Lotus and have convinced DVLA that yours was 'built' in 1972).

I shall let listers know if there is any change. Alan at Club Lotus is working hard on this.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: soggster » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:02 am

Thanks for the info Tim.
soggster
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:18 am

Mark, I don?t think you?ll gain anything by loosing your tax free status?you certainly won?t have any bigger voice, unless you think that you have one now with the car(s) you do pay tax on.

We are still very liberal in this country with regard cars in general?very few other countries allow the freedom to build a motorised armchair or a bath on wheels and allow it on the road. OK, nothing to do with tax, but illustrates a wider tolerance than many, especially around Europe.

If the tax-free status is scrapped, I fear it will be replaced by something quite draconian, being driven by the environmentalists in Europe. Many countries have ?old-timer? plates, which allow cars over a certain age on the road to get to and from a car show. Full stop. That makes sense to me if you have a veteran car capable of 18 mph, or even a 1920s car with no brakes and little go. But with the argument now being about carbon footprint, I can easily see that being extended to ?classic cars??which could be defined as a car that doesn?t pay CO2 emissions-related road tax. They would probably give you the option of free access to the roads, but on a very limited basis, or pay the highest rate commensurate with the CO2 output. So an Elan could cost the same as a new Jaguar to tax.

The options for change are quite scary in the light of the green agenda?.it seems that anything can get through so that politicians can show how concerned they are, and they are doing something about it. I feel that if we start demanding a change to perhaps include another 10 years of cars into the tax-free gang we may just get some unwanted attention from other quarters. I have a few cars either side of the tax breakpoint, so would benefit if it were to be extended, but I just can?t see that happening.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:32 pm

The way I understand is that the VIN date relates to the time when the car left the factory.

I have to say that it was my understanding that Sprints were not produced later than Dec. 72 ? so if this is factual, and not just some ?Lotus folklore?, then a letter from Lotus will suffice for the DVLA.

My car was bought as 7212 but was registered in Feb. 73 on an ?L? plate, and all the previous owners had diligently paid road tax on the basis of it being a 1973 vehicle.

On ownership I immediately contacted Lotus and obtained a letter to say that the car had been manufactured in Oct. 72 and left the factory in Dec. 72 ? hence the 7212 VIN plate.

At my local DVLA office it only took a very cursory glance by the letter to obtain re-classification to Historic Vehicle.

So any car produced before 1st Jan. 1973 and leaving the factory after 1st Jan. 1973 will have a 73 VIN plate. I guess it will be a tough call to get Lotus to verify such claims.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: