Safety Devices rollbar pics

PostPost by: jimbo » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:29 am

D.J.Pelly wrote:I'm pretty certain that the red & white Sprint has a Spyder roll bar fitted; they have the option to add the head restraints.

I take your point re: the head restraints but you can clearly see the Safety Devices stickers on the cage!
72 Sprint DHC
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:38 am

Ooops should have clicked on that pic. to take a closer look. :oops:
The added brake light led me to believe that I was seeing that welded sleeve.
So Safety devices also have the the possibility to attach head restraints, maybe it's a later version than my own (supplied by TTR) :roll:

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:38 pm

I?ve never liked the idea of the Spyder head restraints ? or should I say I would not like my head to hit it in an accident. But it?s fine for race conditions when wearing a helmet.
I have to admit however, that my car with high impact foam around the uprights is not a lot better. Some suggestions on this subject would not go amiss.

I?m pleased to see that all the pictures tend to show my belief that the roll bar compliments the window frames ? or is it just my prejudice?
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: zarelan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:40 pm

Jimbo

Yes it is a TTR / Safety Devices bar, but as you have guessed the head restraint pads are from Spyder. They have been fitted by welding the sleeves in the back bars. Sypder will happily supply you with all the bits you need. I had my local body shop garage to drill the holes, weld and respray the area around the welding. The head pads are very well made, I couldn't find anything better and I did a lot of searching.

If you're buying the bar from TTR you may be able to get them make the mod for you if you send them the head pads, or just the sleeves.

With a roll over bar you have to think about head protection. With the standard Elan seats there is nothing between your head and the hard steel bar behind. Not good if you have a rear end shunt. Some people cover them in foam padding, the stuff you see with race cars, but that really spoils the look in my opinion. The head restraints is the way to go for normal road cars.

Elanintheforest,

Yes, the Safety Devices bar stops the seat from going all the way back. I've never thought about it. For tall guys, I can see this would be a problem.

--Antonio
zarelan
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:57 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:There's a danger then that you may scratch the paint :shock:

Back to roll bars...do any of these bars allow the seat to be pushed fully back? On all the bars I've seen the side of the roll bar gets in the way of the back of the seat a couple of inches before the seat is back all the way. Makes a big difference to tall blokes like me...but then again, my head would probably stick above the top of the bar anyway!

Mark

Mark,

Fitted the re-covered seats back in today - the seat in the forward fixing position and adjusted to the most rearward setting is only just short of touching the Safety Devices roll bar. Perfect for us ?short-arses?, but no good for ?bean-poles? that need the seat in the rear fixing position.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elandoc » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:05 am

The roll hoop definitely impedes the rearward travel of the seat, which is a shame, as with a little more thought, an extra couple of inches could be found.

With padding, and wearing a helmet, your head is in contact with the bar all the time. With the full cage, it's also pushed inwards! My next one will have a lower seat (there's half an inch or so to be found) and a custom cage to get those extra few inches of room - just as soon as I get around to it... and find the 6 - 7000 dollars.

Patrick
67 S3 DHC - The world's most expensive Elan has now been sold!
85 Ferrari 308 GTSi QV
76 MGB
07 Aston Martin V8 Vantage
81 Ducati 900 MHR
65 Elan S2 lightweight project under construction
73 Triumph X-75 Hurricane
elandoc
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: